Firefox keeps freezing (not responding)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by seanobie2009, Aug 4, 2009.

1. seanobie2009

seanobie2009

My aspire one keeps freezing whilst I am online and the only way to resolve the connection issue is to restart the computer. This happens after about an hour of use.
    Any help as to what could be causing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

seanobie2009, Aug 4, 2009
  2. seanobie2009

Drjones

Drjones, Aug 14, 2009
  3. seanobie2009

Forone

I'd agree you should try another browser to try to narrow the problem. FF3.5 is a little unstable but I've never had the OS freeze up requiring a reboot. That's a cause for concern.

Chrome is very fast - I use it for Google-associated services and video - but don't want Snoople to be snuffling into my ordinary internet activity like email.

Forone, Aug 14, 2009
  4. seanobie2009

Drjones

That reminds me, that when I was using FF, I would frequently experience lags/freezes. It was only within FF and did not affect the rest of my system.

This took place on my main computer, a Dell Laptop, and I have whatever version of FF was just before 3.5.

I did not upgrade to 3.5 because some plugins that I rely on are not compatible with 3.5 and I know the developer will not release any updates to the plugin to make it compatible. Also, I wasn't using FF anymore anyway.

Chrome is so much better, faster, stable than FF it's ridiculous.

It sure did take me some getting used to, but once you do, you realize how much better it is.

Drjones, Aug 14, 2009
  5. seanobie2009

Forone

For me the speed is less important than a few plug-ins I like, namely "IE Tab" that automatically handles Active X and IE configured sites within FireFox, and Cooliris, a much better way of looking at images, including Google image searches, and "NoScript" that provides some control over all the snoopers, including Google, running scripts to snuffle their snoopy snouts into everyday internet activity. It's Google's technical competence, coupled with its snoopy snuffling into my activity, that scares me. FireFox is noticeably faster since the 3.5 upgrade, but agree it's running behind Google Chrome.

Forone, Aug 14, 2009
  6. seanobie2009

jackluo923

Why not just use IE8? After all those plugins installed on FF, it's actually a lot slower than IE8 with the same feature.

IE tab isn't necessary because it's "IE"
    There's Internet explorer version of cooliris
    There's alternatives for NoScript, i think it's called greesemonkey or something. You can find it on IE7Pro
    You can use free or paid Adblock. E.g. admunchers which is miles ahead of adblock. There's also flashblock alternatives for IE8.

Generally, IE8 is much faster than FF with its addons included. IE8 is comparable to Chrome and Opera in terms of speed. The ram consumption is about the same as Chrome. FF and Opera are ram hogs.

jackluo923, Aug 15, 2009
  7. seanobie2009

Forone

Starting Day 1, I'd very likely do that. By and large, for the end user, OSs and browsers are boring platforms for applications and services, that just ought to work reliably, with minimum fuss and learning. That's not to say OS and browser development in a changing internet environment isn't challenging for developers. I just got used to FF as the best one in recent years.

I use several "about:config" tweaks to speed up FF so it runs noticeably faster than IE8, despite a few add ons. One of the best things about NoScript is that it can update settings from one computer to another. With three XP machines I'm becoming a fan of these online "meshes" as major time-savers. I have IE7 Pro installed in IE8 and use it for meshing bookmarks and speed tweaks, but don't use IE enough to bother learning about it.

The stability problems with FF3 have been persistent all this year - I expected them to finally be fixed when 3.5 came out and am disappointed - would go back to IE if they're not. Apparently, IE8 has substantially improved security:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/IE8-T ... wn-254742/

Forone, Aug 15, 2009
  8. seanobie2009

mehboob

I have been using the IE8 and its not bad!!! You can give that a try

mehboob, Aug 23, 2009
  9. seanobie2009

wozofoz

I have been reading of FireFox problems and have to wonder why.
    Of course, while it is usual for someone to come to the forums to complain that FireFox (or anything) is not working properly etc, it is very rare for someone to come to the forums to say how great the new FireFox is.
    But here goes :)

I have the latest version of FireFox with a few add-ons (AdBlock+, NoScript, DownThemAll, DownloadHelper) and have no problems at all.
    I tried Opera and Chrome for 2 weeks and they do load faster but once loaded FireFox has the speed, ease and convenience.

When it came to cruising the web, page loading and downloading:
    Opera was very good, smooth and fast but at the moment lacks the 'extras' (widgets/add-ons) I need. Opera may well be the future for me.
    FireFox was next fastest, but only beaten by a second or two, and has all I need
    Chrome was the slowest by a long way but it's still Beta.
    I also use IE on rare occasions (read, when necessary) and it is good but FireFox is still better I think.

I don't know how my Acer Aspire One is different or what set-up is different to give these results (I wish I did) I can only suggest, backup your Bookmarks, un-install FireFox, install FireFox fresh.
    I don't know your set-up so that may be too much trouble for you.

As for me, I am back to using FireFox all the time because I find it fast, efficient and stable :D

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Aug 23, 2009
  10. seanobie2009

garrovick

The original FireFox was pretty good. The newest version is just like IE8. Try Chrome for a while or go back to IE. or an earlier version of FireFox.

garrovick, Aug 23, 2009
  11. seanobie2009

mehboob

I like chrome, but I feel that some sites don't show up exactly in chrome!

mehboob, Aug 23, 2009
  12. seanobie2009

Forone

I've been testing out the FF 3.6 beta on this little netbook and it's been quicker and more stable than 3.5, which has been very crashy on all my three computers. The beta was an improvement, though some extensions weren't working on it. The 3.6 RC is out today (got it from FileHippo) and it supports all the extensions I use. Recommended.

Re earlier comments about IE8, I recently found it runs a lot faster after going through and disabling all the add-ons I don't actually use. MS loads up the default installation with it's new tricks and they impair performance - it's actually a reasonably frisky browser.

Chrome is the fastest, but Google is just too snoopy for me to use it as default and it lacks some of the versatility of FF extensions, so I only use it for YouTube, Maps, Docs, and other Google services which Google has its sticky fingers into anyway.

Forone, Jan 8, 2010
Ask a Question