Firefox local homepage will not display at startup - SORTED

Discussion in 'Linux' started by freddie, Apr 13, 2009.

1. freddie

the100thmonkey

Re: Firefox local homepage will not display at startup

Most Linux variants are very similar under the bonnet, so to speak.

It strikes me that the problem is that the file is saved to /mnt/home - I can think of no good reason why Linpus would save it there unless it was saved to your home directory after Linpus had merged the SD card and the SSD. It might be a good idea to alter your partition table so that your SD card is actually /home/data or something like that, and not automatically merged with your SSD - I found that 50% of the time the OS wouldn't actually merge the drives properly anyway, causing no end of grief at boot time.

What do you mean you have no 'user' account set up? As I understand it, Linpus creates a default 'user' account whose presence is pretty much hidden from the user (even though they're using it). You can set the OS to make you log in, if you like, which would demonstrate whether or not you're actually running a user account rather than the root account.

the100thmonkey, Apr 17, 2009
  2. freddie

solpuerto

Re: Firefox local homepage will not display at startup

Hi freddie

I am sorry about the following but I get a bit P----- O-- when someone does not take the time to read and understand your OP and refers to something that is far removed from standard Linpus as used on the One, then attempts to nit pick another post that is trying to help.

RockDoctor

In your last response to me you said,

What you're describing is the default behavior for Linpus - absolutely nothing wrong with that, although it would help if you identified it as such.

It is not unreasonable to be talking about the default behaviour of Linpus under a Beginners thread in an Aspire One forum when the One uses, guess what linux, yes you got it in one, or did you?

Well I have looked at just how helpful you have been in this thread.

In your second post in this thread you said,

Strange. My home page file, home_sweet_home.html, is located in my home directory (/home/a). When I click on my Firefox icon, it runs, and the address bar displays file:///home/a/home_sweet_home.html. The /mnt/home/Documents/ prefix on your home page's filename looks unusual.

Bearing in mind you are in the Beginners section of forum and have made nearly 500 posts in the forum anybody reading your comments will now be thinking there is something very wrong with my system. Your statement is not in any way helpful in identifying the OP's problem in fact it actually questions standard Linpus terminology. To someone who knows a anything about the Linpus file structure you have just indicated the level of your knowledge.

In your next post you then identify that you are not using Linpus or Thunar, that would certainly be a helpful statement to someone who is. It may also reinforce the impression of your Linpus knowledge. I think the OP was rather restrained in his reaction.

Next you then say,

/mnt is typically as a mountpoint for filesystems that are automatically mounted via /etc/fstab
    /media is typically used for external devices that are automagically mounted

This is not typical of a Linpus installation on the Aspire so it may have been helpful if you had identified which system it is typical of. I suggest it again only adds to the confusion for Linpus users and probably should only be used in the areas of the forum designated for the more standard versions of Linux.

In response to my statement “There is only one /mnt directory in the Aspire” you say,

Even Linpus is flexible. When I was running Linpus, I had at least half a dozen directories under /mnt for mounting local filesystems.

This statement only confuses the issue again about the directory called /mnt. There is only one such directory, but it has several sub-directories and you could probably add more if you use Terminal commands. Are you now trying to portray a greater knowledge of Linpus than you indicated in your previous comments?

It would have been very helpful if you had made a meaningful attempt to assist the OP with his clearly identified problem with standard Linpus rather than referring to what you have on an unidentified different version of Linux. If you knew so much about Linpus as you are now implying you would know that the version on the Acer has certain directories that are used in quite a different fashion to other more standard versions of Linux. Even a beginner will have got that message from the forum after a short period of time.

One last comment to your following statement,

For the record, my Aspire has 6 /mnt directories. Each has a /mntHome, but none has a /mnthome.

I am very pleased for you.

solpuerto, Apr 18, 2009
  3. freddie

freddie

Re: Firefox local homepage will not display at startup - SORTED!

Back from holiday... lovely sunny time off the West Coast of Scotland, but I seem to have missed all the fun on this thread!

Thanks solpuerto - BRILLIANT! A good analysis, I can see where you're coming from, AND IT WORKS!!!

The only problem was that being a sleepy Linux virgin I couldn't initially find the directory 'Home' which you mentioned, but when I got back into newbie Linux mode I realised I had to type '/home/' into the File Manager navigation toolbar, and hey presto - there was a 'user' folder and the rest as they say was easy!

So Firefox now correctly shows my home page as 'file:///home/user/Documents/links/index.htm'
    AND my local homepage comes up correctly at startup!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I agree that it is such a pity that people do not read the details of the OS and other s/w one is using - it wastes so much time and effort...

freddie, Apr 23, 2009
Ask a Question