Firefox won't add bookmarks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bntashby, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bntashby

bntashby

Liked my Linux ver. Acer so much, I got my 13 yr old kid one Dec. 17. No probs w/ mine, but on his (same ver. Firefox, 2.0.0.4 I believe), clicking on the "Add" box to add a bookmark does nothing. Result: he has no bookmarks and has to go through Google or type in URLs. Anyone know a solution, or should I try a Firefox forum? Otherwise, so far as I can see, Firefox works same as mine. Thanks.

bntashby, Jan 1, 2009
  2. bntashby

daldred

One possibility is that his bookmarks file has somehow been given the wrong permissions.

To check for this, open 'My Files', and after the "My Disk:///" in the address bar type ".mozilla" (the dot at the beginning is important). Now open the firefox folder; you will see another folder with a name consisting of random characters followed by 'default'. Open this folder.

Find the 'bookmarks,html' file, and right-click on it. Select the Permissions tab, and make sure that the owner is 'user', and the permissions for the owner are 'Read and Write'. If the permissions are wrong, change them; if the owner is wrong come back and we'll go through how to change ownership.

daldred, Jan 1, 2009
  3. bntashby

ill

I am having a similar problem. I have upgraded to Firefox 3.0 and I was able to add a few bookmarks but now I lose them every time I close Firefox. I checked the permissions as suggested above but they seem fine. I have also found a 'fix'. If I bookmark a new page, Organize Bookmarks, Backup then save the new bookmarks will remain. Just seems a bit tedious.

ill, Jan 12, 2009
  4. bntashby

bntashby

Re David's post: I just got around to trying to implement what he suggests, but I'm sorry to say I haven't found "My Files". Tried to Open File, but that didn't do it. Nothing by that name from either left or right clicking. I'm sure its something so obvious I'll feel even more like a fool, but . . . - Ned

bntashby, Feb 5, 2009
  5. bntashby

libssd

The path to your personal preferences and such associated with FireFox should be something like this:
    My Disk:///.mozilla/firefox/something.default

I have never encountered the problem reported, but that may be because I use a completely different strategy for my bookmarks file, which has been evolving for more than a decade, and is so important to me that I keep backup copies in multiple locations (stripped down version is about 150 kb on the Acer, about 250 kb on machines with bigger screens). Rather than use "Bookmark this page" (Ctrl-D), I drag the URL to the Bookmarks toolbar, or to a folder in it, where all of my frequently used bookmarks are kept. I use Organize Bookmarks to keep things in order, shorten names, etc.

libssd, Feb 5, 2009
  6. bntashby

mattytee

The instructions refer to the Thunar file manager.

mattytee, Feb 5, 2009
  7. bntashby

daldred

My Files is on the standard desktop; in the green 'Files' area.

You may need to click the green arrow to reveal it; I've changed the order round on mine and don't know how it started off!

daldred, Feb 5, 2009
  8. bntashby

Ranger Wolf

Ranger Wolf, Feb 5, 2009
  9. bntashby

libssd

Thanks for the pointer to the Mozilla help page on problems with saving bookmarks; it's a keeper. The new way of storing bookmarks is one of the things about FF3 that has always made me uneasy. With FF2 and earlier, everything was in bookmarks.html, and I could look at it and fix it myself if I thought something was wrong.

libssd, Feb 5, 2009
  10. bntashby

Aspiration

I ran into the same problem with firefox not letting me add a folder for my discussions bookmarks. Finally I right clicked on the bookmark bar and added the folder there. It worked! Could not get the folder located in the location I wanted through the bookmark editor.

Aspiration, Apr 2, 2009
  11. bntashby

bntashby

Re: David's post. I finally was able to follow it out and the owner is "user" and access is "read and write". It would seem that is not the problem.

bntashby, Apr 17, 2009
  12. bntashby

Aspiration

Try the edit menu. Select preferences. Select Privacy. See if you have a check in the box that says to always clear personal data when you close Firefox. Uncheck that box if it is checked.

Aspiration, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question