Firefox2 vs. Firefox3 on Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by reglof, Nov 7, 2008.

1. reglof

reglof

Hi,

I am a Newbie to Linpus.
    While I am perfectly happy with FF2 I am wondering if FF3 is more efficient and less memory hungry compared to FF2 or is it really the other way around?

Can anybody give me some advice if it is worth it to go though the hazzle and install FF3?
    I dont do any online banking or other convidential stuff with it, so I assume FF2 is good enough.

Any Opinions?

reglof, Nov 7, 2008
  2. reglof

zaphod

If I were you I would stick with FF2. I installed FF3 and regretted it as it has the irritating tendency to regularly "pause" whilst accessing the disk. There are a number of tweaks that help mitigate the problem but ultimately I found the FF2 browsing experience better. In the end I installed Opera 9.6 which I am happily using now.

zaphod, Nov 8, 2008
  3. reglof

reglof

Thanks, I am definitely stick with FF2 in that case.

reglof, Nov 8, 2008
  4. reglof

Yosser_UK

Thats a good bit of information thanks. I'm wondering though do you think FF3 would be more secure that FF2?

Yosser_UK, Nov 8, 2008
  5. reglof

reglof

Acer is now officially supporting FF3 for Linpus, see
    http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... t.html#004

I still dont know if it's worth it updating to FF3 and if I have any significant benefit if I do so.
    What is the deal with FF3 being too harsh on the SSD since FF3 is doing so many Write-cycles on the SSD?

Optinions?

reglof, Jan 5, 2009
  6. reglof

mdgo80

I'm using FF3 in my AA1/Linpus/120gb and i'm very happy with it, it has tons of extensions very useful that are not available for FF2... At least for me extensions are "why" i use FF.

mdgo80, Jan 6, 2009
  7. reglof

rowantree

And how did you install it? Using Macles instructions or via the Acer link...?

I have the same machine as you and upgrading to Firefox 3 is the only thing left to be done, although I'm feart to do it in case it breaks something, plus have read many things on here about it being slow...

Thanks,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Jan 6, 2009
  8. reglof

jrs

Go with Macles instructions. I used the Acer package and it works fine but Macles tut is better for the following reasons: (1) you can't use the auto update (so you'd be stuck at 3.0.3 until Acer updates FF3), (2) Acer ships all the language packs and their choices of plugins, which must be disabled and (3) my FF is stuck on a german dictionary, something else to fix. Better to use the Macles direction!

jrs, Jan 6, 2009
  9. reglof

rowantree

Rightio. Thanks.

rowantree, Jan 6, 2009
  10. reglof

mdgo80

Yeah, i used Macles Instructions and you can change the Firefox 3.0.1 for Firefox 3.0.5 and it does the trick.

mdgo80, Jan 7, 2009
  11. reglof

GlenMH

Unfortunately I have used the Acer package to update to FF3. Is there any way of enabling the autoupdate function?

Thanks

Glen

GlenMH, Jan 17, 2009
  12. reglof

mdgo80

I don't thik live update do that for you, you need to be aware when the package comes up and then install it by yourself.

mdgo80, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question