Firefox3.1 Page rotate ebook reader

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Rofa, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Rofa

Rofa

I buy books from a commercial site. The Adobe ebook reader will not function under Linux, but I can download to my Mac. Too big to use comfortably though and the download is only licensed to one computer. HOWEVER a number of the books are in eb20 format - and can be read online from any computer I wish to use. Works quite well and would be perfect if I could rotate the page 90. Can't find a way of doing it - but this may be because 3.1 is still Beta. Anyone help or comment?

Rofa, Dec 19, 2008
  2. Rofa

Forone

If you're reading ordinary PDFs you might look into the Foxit Reader, which is now available for Linux (it's a great little reader, but no clue about it on the Acer Linux.)
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/

Forone, Dec 19, 2008
  3. Rofa

Rofa

Thanks - will have a look - but the eb20 is not pdf at all!

Rofa, Dec 19, 2008
  4. Rofa

markforrest

Hi, to rotate your screen use xrandr

i.e. "xrandr -o right" for portrait
    then "xrandr -o normal" to return to landscape

Do a search on this forum for xrandr and you should find a script that will toggle between them which can be assigned to a keypress.

Mark

markforrest, Dec 20, 2008
  5. Rofa

Rofa

Just what I was looking for - thank you so much!

Rofa, Dec 20, 2008
  6. Rofa

Winfried

I tried it but it did not properly function. However, on " add/remove software " you will find "evince". That is now my favorite PDF reader since it comprises also the screen turn by 90° so that you can read in Portrait format. For e-books I find that very convenient since you read the e-book like a book.

However, when you try to read e-books with DRM - digital rights management - then under Linux you are lost. There is no reader available. only under XP. It seems that the e-book trader are not interested in the Linux users or are ready to push them into illegal actions like stripping the DRM from the doc which is possible.
    Winfried

Winfried, Feb 17, 2009
Ask a Question