Firewall on Linpus AA1

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xxluci, Nov 12, 2008.

1. xxluci

xxluci

Hi all,

I tried to search for a firewall to be installed on the Aspire One - Linpus version, is there any way to install one? Do you have recommendations on one of the firewalls?

Thank you in advance,
    Lucian H.

xxluci, Nov 12, 2008
  2. xxluci

RockDoctor

Sugggestion: iptables
    It may already be installed. I haven't been using Linpus much, so I'm not sure, but it is installed by default in Fedora

RockDoctor, Nov 12, 2008
  3. xxluci

Grim Squeaker

The Linpus kernel does not support IPtables. So if you really want it, you will have to recompile the kernel yourself...

However, for general usage a firewall is not need on Linpus. Contrary to windows Linux only opens the ports it actually uses.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 17, 2008
  4. xxluci

xxluci

I was trying to install firestarter (Fedora edition) with no success. It requires too many packages that were not previously installed by Linpus lite. Anyone succeeded installing firestarter on AA1 (Linpus Lite)?

xxluci, Nov 22, 2008
  5. xxluci

yodersj

Firestarter uses iptables. Like the previous post said, the kernel used in Linpus on the Aspire doesn't support iptables. Additional work would need to be done to add iptable support.

yodersj, Nov 23, 2008
  6. xxluci

gedakc

Has anyone successfully recompiled the Linpus kernel with iptables support?

I have tried, but after compiling and booting the new kernel I am missing support for several hardware devices such as ethernet and sound.

gedakc, Jan 30, 2009
Ask a Question