First Thing To Do with New AA1?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by treker, Nov 30, 2008.

1. treker

Aspiration

Tried installing some printer programs and had these errors.

Unresolvable requirement redhat-menus for kdelibs
    Unresolvable requirement redhat-menus >= 1.11 for htmlview
    Unresolvable requirement libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for gnome-utils
    Unresolvable requirement libgnome-menu.so.2 for gnome-screensaver
    Unresolvable requirement libgnome-desktop-2.so.2 for gnome-utils

what do <i do?

No idea why it has these issues. so i opted to quit anyway since it couldn't figure out how to do resolve dependencies
    Whay now?

Aspiration, Apr 3, 2009
  2. treker

syntharoo

Hello and thanks for all the postings so far. They have really helped.
    I am trying to set up my wife's portable Canon BJC-70 printer. I plugged it in and got a message on the screen that said I needed to install a driver. I was able to find Canon on the list and found BJC-70. In seconds we had a test page printed, tried it on a web page and all was well. She packed the printer and AA1 up to go on her writing course. When she got there and plugged everything together it didn't print.

Now that she is home, I found the ONLY way to get the printer to print after a restart is to unplug the USB cable, go into the printer configuration, delete the "Unknown" printer that got added automatically, plug the USB cable in again, wait for the HAL to detect it again and we're ready to go. Needless to say if anyone has a way to make this work after a shut-down and reboot without deleting the printer and reinstalling it again, I'd really appreciate it.

syntharoo, May 31, 2009
  3. treker

solpuerto

Hi syntharoo

I do not have the problem you outline when re booting, my default printer is picked up and I do not have any reference to "unknown" printer and it is not loaded automatically.
    Having said that I do not know why you have, but just in case it helps I show a screenshot of my printer configuration page.

[attachment=0:a6abwxnd]Screenshot.png[/attachment:a6abwxnd]
    Best wishes

solpuerto, May 31, 2009
  4. treker

syntharoo

Thanks so much solpuerto for the response. It helps to see a different configuration window. Here is the one from my wife's AA1:
    [attachment=1:3ewa1x0r]printer-config.png[/attachment:3ewa1x0r]
    Notice the Device URI: hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial_printer_noserial on mine where your screen shot shows usb:// as the device.
    (The Color Laserjet entry above Unknown is a networked printer - works fine.)

Unless I delete the Unknown printer and allow it to re-detect, I get the following when I try to print:[attachment=0:3ewa1x0r]printer2.png[/attachment:3ewa1x0r]

If you have any idea if I should change the URI to point to the USB device rather than the Hardware Abstraction Layer device (??) it would be much appreciated.

syntharoo, Jun 1, 2009
Ask a Question