First time setup

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by IRSmurf, Feb 2, 2009.

1. IRSmurf

IRSmurf

I've just snagged an Acer Aspire One A150 (1gb ram / windows xp / 6 cell) for $305 on Buy.com. :p

Before I begin using the computer, would you all recommend uninstalling any pre-loaded software?
    Should I make an image of the hard disk or is Acer's replacement image sufficient?
    Any apps you'd recommend loading right off the bat?

I plan on using this thing for an energy efficient 24/7 bit torrent client, but I may be carting it to and from work as well.

Thanks for the info!

IRSmurf, Feb 2, 2009
  2. IRSmurf

yachtpro

I removed all the "bloat ware" that came with my Acer One as I don't use most of it anyway. Just DON"T install it during initial setup or if you do, go into Control Panel/Add & Remove programs, and uninstall them. The eRcovery is supposed to work well as provided. It resides in a hidden partition on your hard drive. You CANNOT make a copy from this hidden partition but recovery discs are available from Acer for $20 + $10 shipping. They used to be free depending on which customer service rep you talked to but not any more. If you want to, install any programs you want to have, especially those that might run "resident" (when Windows starts) and THEN make your "mirror" copy. That way, if you have to do a major recovery or reinstall for whatever reason, it will save you a lot of time reinstalling all your favorite programs that you always use. Search the posts in this forum and you will find all kinds of tips and tricks to backup and/or mirror your Acer One. Good luck!

yachtpro, Feb 3, 2009
Ask a Question