Fix Canadian bilingual keyboard, maximize screen space in FF

Discussion in 'Linux' started by caydr, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caydr

caydr

Sorry if something similar's been posted already, but I wanted to share this. Really, really helpful for Canadians and possibly others afflicted with a multi-language keyboard.

So you got yourself an Aspire One, good for you. Unfortunately you've got an amputated left shift key and Home and End are replaced with the (relatively) useless PGUP/PGDOWN. These are probably the worst things about the laptop, but you can solve the problem easily!

The fix is simple. Download the freeware program "KeyTweak". Just google for that and install it. Open and use this profile I just made:
    http://www.caydr.com/AA1Fixed.zip

Now that useless key next to left shift is ALSO a left shift. Your PGUP/PGDOWN keys are now Home/End. In my last 10 years of being a hardcore PC user and gamer, I have never used PGUP/PGDOWN so I don't think it'll be a big deal, especially when you gain Home/End without having to use Fn.

Next, Firefox tweaks. What I recommend is:
    -Disable status bar (View > Status Bar), download the plugin called Fission, which shows page loading progress in the address bar instead.
    -Right-click somewhere on your toolbar and choose Customize. Then select "use small icons".
    -Install the addon called "Hide Menubar". Now unless you push alt, your menu bar will be hidden (file, edit, etc). Unfortunately you lose easy access to bookmarks, but thanks to Firefox 3's "awesomebar" address bar functionality, it's not really a problem.

Now you've got TONS more screen-estate for web browsing, it really makes a difference. Oh, and also set your taskbar to auto-hide. (right-click, properties, auto-hide the taskbar)

Proud to say I typed this whole message at, I'd estimate, 40-50 WPM with 95%+ accuracy using the "fixed" keyboard on the Aspire One. Definitely wouldn't have happened without the shift fix, and the few errors I did make were much easier to correct thanks to the easy access to home/end.

caydr, Aug 15, 2008
  2. caydr

kgingeri

@caydr: It appears your solution is only for a Windows version A1. Your Firefox tips are great - thx.

I have a Linux version, though I haven't refined it yet - if someone else has better knowledge, please by all means, jump in...
    In Linux (X Windows) you can use commands (at a Terminal prompt) as follows:
    Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 99 = Home"
    xmodmap -e "keycode 105 = End"
    xmodmap -e "keycode 94 = Shift_L"

All three work EXCEPT the 94 modmap - it at least leaves the key with null effect but does not make it a left shift key - anyone? My A1 does give me Home and End via the [Fn] key so I'm not sure how useful this all is, but it does stop those funny repeating symbols when I think I'm holding down the left shift key :lol: I also expect these commands could be put into an X init file, or at very least a Gnome autostart file (sorry I'm familiar with KDE more than Gnome, your on your own here).

I'm not much of an X guru - this comes from the following resource (to give credit where due):
    http://www.columbia.edu/~djv/docs/keyremap.html - Thank David Vespe @ CU ;)

kgingeri, Aug 17, 2008
  3. caydr

lazy

yes, i have the bilingual keyboard and i've mistakenly press that instead of shift, it's kinda annoying

would acer replace the keyboard if you kindly ask them?

here's the keyboard for those of you dont know what we're talking about
    [​IMG]

lazy, Aug 17, 2008
Ask a Question