Fix for audio auto-switching

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by amf5, Oct 16, 2008.

1. amf5

amf5

Firstly, I'd like to mention that this method is not completely my own - I figured this stuff out through a little digging and adapting other people's methods to suit the AAO.

To fix the audio auto-switching problem:

1. If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend using the Voodoo kernel 9.5 beta 2; I've found it improves performance (specifically over the ToH kernel installed by default with iATKOS) and fixes a few things with hyperthreading and SpeedStep if you've got that kext installed.

2. If you're using the ALC268FIX package provided in the iATKOS thread, delete AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. You may also need to delete the "Taruga" folder (I didn't run HDA Fix, so I didn't do this step).

3. Contrary to the other method, I've found that ALCInject.kext is actually necessary for auto-switching (I might be wrong on this one though). If you don't have it already, get it here. HDAEnabler may also be necessary, but again, I'm not sure on this one.

4. Install AppleHDA.kext from here.

5. Reboot. You'll likely notice a noise coming from the speakers - that's because the microphone is enabled. Go to System Preferences, then sound. Go to the "Input" tab, select "Internal microphone" and lower the input volume all the way.

That should be it! Auto-switching between headphones and the internal speakers works perfectly for me, as does shutdown.

amf5, Oct 16, 2008
  2. amf5

rory

The next question from the community is going to be "Is line in working?"
    Rory

rory, Oct 16, 2008
  3. amf5

jANjALANi

Thanks amf5! It works! now my AA1 is almost perfect...

if it weren't for Vga Mirror & Sleep problems my AA1 is almost perfect

jANjALANi, Oct 20, 2008
  4. amf5

SticMAN

Is anybody's internal mic working?

StiCMAN

edit: I fixed it!!! I now have Autoswitch and internal MIC, I disabled the external MIC(pink on left side) as it was playing directly through the speakers!

SticMAN, Oct 23, 2008
  5. amf5

phampton81

I am interested in trying out the voodoo kernel, but am having trouble finding simple instructions for swapping my kernel. If anyone could point me in the right direction I am more than willing to learn how to do it through a bit of reading, I am just having trouble finding the right place to start/look.

phampton81, Oct 29, 2008
  6. amf5

amf5

Assuming you put the voodoo kernel file in the root of your hard drive, go into Terminal and type in the following:

Code:
    sudo su
    cd /
    cp voodoo_beta2 /mach_kernel
    Simple enough really.

Alternatively, if you don't want voodoo to be your default kernel, you can boot with it by entering "voodoo_beta2" as a boot argument (no quotes, obviously).

amf5, Oct 29, 2008
  7. amf5

jANjALANi

or you can use OSX86Tools, it has features like Backup Kernel, Restore or Install Kernel

jANjALANi, Oct 29, 2008
  8. amf5

phampton81

voodoo kernel installed, thanks for the help. Only just installed it, but my impression is that it is a bit better, I was getting some random 1-2 second hang-up/pauses (and the occasional beach ball) while web surfing or general use, which seem to be gone now.

phampton81, Oct 30, 2008
  9. amf5

Drillbit

I did as listed but not it says that - no input devices found - no output devices found.

Any ideas?

I used the MSIWindOS86 install.

Drillbit, Oct 30, 2008
  10. amf5

amf5

Was sound working before? The Wind has a different sound card than the AAO.

amf5, Oct 30, 2008
  11. amf5

Drillbit

Ya, sound was working perfectly. I'm using an Aspire, I just loaded it with the Wind disc. It worked great. I just thought I'd try what was outlined here and now my devices and sound have gone west.

Drillbit, Oct 30, 2008
  12. amf5

dermk4

got sound working but Voodoo has killed my USB, guess I am going back to ToH

dermk4, Oct 31, 2008
  13. amf5

Tac tics288

Same thing happened to me, Voodoo killed my usb, then when i restarted to see if that could fix the problem, my One got stuck booting up OS X. Then got stuck at the same place every time after that. I had to actually reinstall OS X, kinda sucked. Running iATKOS 10.5.4.

Tac tics288, Nov 1, 2008
  14. amf5

robotmaker

I got the kexts installed. it had the fuzzy noise coming out of the speakers, and I used a program called recordpad to try to see if it works. I turned up the mic volume, and when I recorded me yelling, it had an empty sound clip. anyone else having this issue??

robotmaker, Nov 7, 2008
  15. amf5

robotmaker

I did the kexts right using the kext helper, and I get an annoying on- off issue with the sound. Like when Im playing HL2, the sound locks up, but I still can play correctly. Anyone know a fix to this?????

robotmaker, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question