Formatting to XP

Discussion in 'Linux' started by narked, Nov 6, 2008.

1. narked

narked

do you recommend it since i want to install .exe stuff. i used wine but i dont like the look of it really
    does everything work fine afterwards?
    and last question should i install home or professional?

narked, Nov 6, 2008
  2. narked

mgmayo27

Do you have the 8GB SSD or the 120GB hard drive version? If you have the SSD version, you'll have to make some tweaks to the system to have Windows behave at a nice speed. As far as Home or Professional, it's really personal preference. If you're looking to have the ability to join a network domain, you'll need Professional or Media Center Edition (which is basically professional with the Media Center software). Otherwise, Home will work fine.

mgmayo27, Nov 6, 2008
  3. narked

Tamrac

Home if you're on SSD to save space. But both are compatible with the AAO. Please browse through the Windows section of this forum. You will find ALL your answers there. Cheers.

Tamrac, Nov 7, 2008
  4. narked

narked

i have the 120gb hard disk version, not ssd. i will use professional.

i asked because i read that someone's usbs didnt work anymore after format from linpus to xp. so i was abit concerend. thanks for the info guys, cheers

narked, Nov 7, 2008
  5. narked

Tamrac

Not true.... EVERYTHING works on XP. Just install via an external CD/DVD drive. Download all the drivers from the Acer site(might want to do this 1st). Update the BIOS to the latest version. ;)

Tamrac, Nov 7, 2008
  6. narked

mgmayo27

Also, one thing to make note of: when you install the wireless drivers, the switch is set to off by default and there's no way of knowing. I tried to find a wireless connection and it wouldn't find anything. I flicked the switch and then it connected to my wireless router automatically.

mgmayo27, Nov 7, 2008
  7. narked

electronrancher

Yes, you will need the drivers from
    ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook
    to get a fresh XP install up and running.

As for the version, I'd actually recommend an NTLite'd version that has a lot of the junk stripped out. You can do it yourself, or fetch one from the web. If you fetch from web, be alert: One good one is xp3_lite.iso. It's competitor, Windows XP sp3 Lite.iso is also good but installs an extra admin user named saba by "accident".

And I bought one of those $20 USB to IDE/SATA converter cables so I could take advantage of all the old CDRW drives lying around the house. It's bootable! Installing XP from a USB stick really sucks, and paying another $50 for an external CD drive is LAME. I found when installing off USB stick that XP either won't accept your product key due to not running off original CD, or buggers up BOOT.INI so you need some OTHER bootable rescue disk to find it.

I say, spend the 20 bucks and get the cable. I did it on a whim - I really did not think it would be bootable, but it boots HDD's and CD/DVD drives as if they were just a giant USB stick. It's nice when something just WORKS!

I got mine at Fry's, but this one is equivalent to the one I got just to show you an example.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 812232002&

electronrancher, Nov 7, 2008
  8. narked

narked

both the 110 and 150 from the website u gave me? i have an external dvd which i won at a lan party lol, and i have xp pro on a dvd, so that would work normally right?

i format then install the drivers, and supposedly all works well?

narked, Nov 7, 2008
  9. narked

mgmayo27

Yes, or you can "NLite" a Windows XP Pro disk with the drivers/latest Service Pack and be all set OOTB.

mgmayo27, Nov 7, 2008
  10. narked

electronrancher

@narked,

Sure, just boot from your XP install CD (F12 to choose ext USB CD, obviously) and it will be happy to format your drive and install XP. Then, just install the drivers one by one and everything will come alive just fine.

electronrancher, Nov 7, 2008
  11. narked

narked

great thanks for the help guys really appreciate it :)

narked, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question