foxitreader for pdf files and books

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Winfried

Winfried

On my XP notebook I used to use foxitreader instead of adobe since it is much faster and more confortable.
    On http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/ I found a linux version of this reader. However, I have no idea how to install it. Its a tar file, which is on my Downloads directory. I unpacked it. But when I tried with root rights to use the install command bash tells me that such a command does not exist.
    Any idea how I can do the INSTALL???

Winfried, Dec 30, 2008
  2. Winfried

markh

I extracted that file and then clicked on it....it worked first time. They've kindly provided a fully working single executable file, so you don't need to compile or anything. However, when I tried to load a pdf, it crashed. Although foxit is great on windows, I think a better replacement on the AAO would be evince (available from add/remove programs)

markh, Dec 30, 2008
  3. Winfried

Winfried

I tried that as well and had the same experience. S I will follow your suggestion.

I searched through the files and found two: evince and epdfview. I loaded both but evince did not appear on the listings neither others nor in graphics nor elsewhere and epdview hang after reading 5 pages. So it seems I have further look around or live with adobe.
    Anyway thanks for your advice.posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=57542#

Winfried, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Winfried

markh

epdf is meant to be good as well, but I haven't tried it. Evince will launch if you type evince into a terminal. To have it show up in your desktop menu, you need to add it to your group-app.xml file (sudo mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml). There ought to be a file evince.desktop in /usr/share/applications/ for it - if not, you can modify an existing one.

markh, Dec 30, 2008
  5. Winfried

Winfried

Well I tried and it hang after page 5 of my book

Done and works well: so: thank you very much that was quick help

Winfried, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question