Freezes after bios

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by gigieu, Jul 19, 2011.

1. gigieu

gigieu

Hey guys

I seem to have screwed up my netbook. I was trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 NRE. I resized the windows partition and removed a partition called SYSTEM RESERVED because I read it was unnecessary unless you used specific software. I then proceeded to install linux, and it worked fine. When I rebooted, GRUB came up as usual, and I decided to make sure windows was still working. The acer recovery mode came up and asked me to reinstall windows, so I did, and it rebooted. After that, I went into windows and it said it was setting up, and rebooted itself, and I made a user account. Then the acer installation started by itself and started installing stuff, and rebooted, and continued installing stuff. Then it rebooted, and that's when my main problem started. The bios still works, I can enter the settings with F2 and the boot menu with F12, but after that, the screen and fan turn off. The power light remains on, until I hold down the power button to shut it down. I can't boot from USB either, I've tried multiple linux distributions, and I tried to flash the bios, but nothing works.

I have a Acer Aspire One D257, which came with Windows 7 Starter. Help is greatly appreciated.

gigieu, Jul 19, 2011
  2. gigieu

Wolfmight

Sounds like a faulty installation of an operating system causing some startup issues with the display driver.
    Acer's damn auto recovery feature must be part of the BIOS in this particular model. Is there a way to disable that recovery feature and reinstall both operating systems using a procedure that is verified to work?

Wolfmight, Aug 28, 2011
  3. gigieu

Swarvey Moderator

The "System Reserved" partition is created by Windows 7, I think its about 100Mb in size and contains recovery tools such as a memory test etc. It's not really necessary.

How far down did you resize the Windows Partition? If you've made it too small, after the Acer installer has finished there's more than likely not enough free space for windows to boot.

Did you use a CD/DVD or a USB stick to install Ubuntu? Try booting from your Ubuntu install media, you'll probably find it can reinstall itself. But before you attempt to recover Ubuntu, go into the BIOS and turn off the D2D setting so Acer doesn't try to recover the factory image once Ubuntu has been reinstalled.

P.S After you have Ubuntu reinstalled you might want to think about making sure the Windows Partition has at least ten gig or so of free space. That way windows should continue to run.

Swarvey, Aug 28, 2011
Ask a Question