fsck errorrs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by libssd, Jun 2, 2009.

1. libssd

libssd

For the past few weeks, I have noticed an increasing number of display errors, with odd graphic symbols or screen fragments appearing when opening new windows. Today, without warning, the machine stopped recognizing trackpad clicks and keyboard input -- including an inability to shut down through normal means. After two emergency shutdowns, I restored from a backup.

Although everything looks normal following the restore, I decided to run fsck as root; each time I did so with fsck -TVy, it reported errors. After doing this several times, I started to worry about creating further filesystem damage, so I restored again. This time, I ran fsck -TVn, with the following results:

[root@localhost user]# fsck -TVn
    Checking all file systems.
    [/sbin/fsck.ext2 (1) -- /] fsck.ext2 -n /dev/sda1
    e2fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    Warning! /dev/sda1 is mounted.
    linpus was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Deleted inode 211959 has zero dtime. Fix? no

Deleted inode 211996 has zero dtime. Fix? no

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Entry 'saved_state' in /home/user/.gconfd (211963) has deleted/unused inode 211868. Clear? no

Entry 'saved_state' in /root/.gconfd (358534) has deleted/unused inode 132468. Clear? no

Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    Block bitmap differences: -268017 -432189 -432199 -463935 -(546874--546875)
    Fix? no

Inode bitmap differences: -132468 -211868 -211959 -211996
    Fix? no

linpus: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

linpus: 106979/1840544 files (0.4% non-contiguous), 1280290/3676869 blocks

Should I ignore these errors and proceed, or is there anything that I can do to correct them? Repeatedly running fsck doesn't seem to help, and may be making matters worse.

libssd, Jun 2, 2009
  2. libssd

Tamrac

Is your restore a full image? If so, format the entire drive 1st before restoring. See if that helps.

Tamrac, Jun 2, 2009
  3. libssd

libssd

I'm restoring using the aa1backup utility from Macles*, which I assume is a full image:

Can one format the drive that is actually running the machine, or do I have to create a bootable flash drive (is this even possible) and format from it?

libssd, Jun 2, 2009
  4. libssd

JerryP

[localhost user]# fsck -TVn
    Checking all file systems.
    [/sbin/fsck.ext2 (1) -- /] fsck.ext2 -n /dev/sda1
    e2fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    Warning! /dev/sda1 is mounted.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You're checking a mounted filesystem, of course it will show errors; the on-disk state is inconsistent. It has to be unmounted, which is impossible for the root FS when you're running from it, or mounted read-only, which is how the init scripts perform fsck on the root FS. Options:
    1 Reboot and let the init scripts do the fsck.
    2 Boot from an external USB drive and run the fsck from there.

JerryP, Jun 2, 2009
  5. libssd

libssd

I figured that trying to check a mounted filesystem was the problem. I'm not going to worry about it unless problems return.

libssd, Jun 2, 2009
  6. libssd

lklaus

Checking a mounted fs will lead to trouble.

First, if there are problems on your fs, you should create a file called forcefsck:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    while being on the power adapter (otherwise, the standard script probably won't your fs.

Second, option -n answers no to every question, so the fs won't be rapaired.

I wouldn't expect problems after a fs check with the errors you indicated, still quite harmless...

Klaus

lklaus, Jun 2, 2009
  7. libssd

libssd

Re: fsck errors

I'm beginning to suspect a hardware problem. The problem with the trackpad buttons re-appeared today. After rebooting several times, I again restored from a known good backup (made over a month ago). When the machine finishes the boot process, the cursor is in the middle of the screen, and as soon as I touch the trackpad, the right-click menu appears. Same thing if a mouse is plugged into a USB port and I move it.

I just wrote down the following from watching a boot sequence:

Timeline starting point is display of the BIOS startup screen:

+10 Desktop appears
    +30 Begin WiFi connection
    +60 Connection established
    15 seconds of disk activity (16gb flash drive)
    7 more seconds of disk activity
    After all disk activity stops, move the cursor; Right-click pop-up menu appears without clicking any buttons
    Hit esc to suppress pop-up menu; right-click from trackpad does not activate menu
    Using trackpad, move cursor to the red shutdown button at bottom right, no response to left-click
    Right-click from mouse brings up shutdown menu (it seems that the clicks from trackpad have been cached); Cancel
    Using mouse anywhere on screen, right-click brings up pop-up menu
    Right trackpad button continues to do nothing
    Left trackpad button now works, including over the red shutdown button
    Applications (such as FireFox) behave the same way: left trackpad button works; right does not; all work with mouse

I have not made any command line config changes or settings changes in approximately 2 months, during which period it's been completely stable. This behavior started within the past 24 hours. I have kept detailed records of all config changes and software installations, so in principle, I could copy all data to a USB, re-install Linpus, and start over, but it's not something I look forward to -- with no guarantee of a different outcome when finished.

Ideas? Could flashing the BIOS help?

libssd, Jun 2, 2009
  8. libssd

libssd

I think I figured out the problem. The right button on the trackpad was stuck, which explains the pop-up menu on start, the cached right click input when using the mouse, and the inconsistent behavior of the left trackpad button. After clicking the right trackpad button multiple times at its top and bottom, the problem disappeared -- I hope, not to return.

libssd, Jun 3, 2009
  9. libssd

libssd

Posted too soon, as the problem has returned, but I'm still leaning toward a flaky right button on the trackpad.

libssd, Jun 3, 2009
  10. libssd

libssd

Searching elsewhere on this forum, I see that trackpad button problems are not unusual. Mine just waited 5 months before appearing.

libssd, Jun 3, 2009
Ask a Question