fstab help for a new ext3 partition

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ryanc021, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ryanc021

ryanc021

I've got around to partitioning my hard drive (120gb) and created a ext3 partition that'll be used for storage. I've found a guide to mounting the partition but I'm unsure to the options need/whats appropriate for the simple storage partition?

So far the fstab line is: /dev/sda3 /home/user/mystuff ext3 defaults, noatime 0 2

Is this enough or even right?

Thanks.

ryanc021, Dec 8, 2008
  2. ryanc021

rbil

It'll work, but you really don't need the noatime option if you're running with a hard drive. That option is used to prevent recording the last access time on files and although a good thing to use with an ext2 filesystem running on a SSD drive to cut down on the number of writes taking place, it isn't needed with a hard drive.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 8, 2008
  3. ryanc021

ryanc021

Thanks for the tip, had alittle headache with the mount location, mounting inside /home and auto mounting on boot was a no goer. Had to mount the partition at /mnt/mystuff. Anyway everything went smoothly after that, just wished I hadn't spent the preceding couple of hours trying to a solution to my original problem :lol:

ryanc021, Dec 9, 2008
  4. ryanc021

rbil

Try mounting to:

/mnt/home/mystuff

after you've created the mystuff directory in your home directory.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question