Full system back up

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hansi1, Feb 3, 2009.

1. hansi1

hansi1

Is there a way to make a back up of the entire system on the Aspire One XP? It doesn't have the Windows back up utility in the System Tools. I wondered if there was another way?

hansi1, Feb 3, 2009
  2. hansi1

Stu

Lookup a piece for software called Acronis. Not free, but very good.

Stu, Feb 3, 2009
  3. hansi1

jeremysdad

There is a folder in "C:\Program Files" called "Valueadd". You have to open it, and look for "NtBackup". There is an .exe file in there that installs the backup utility. Puts it in the control panel, and everything. Good luck...

jeremysdad, Feb 3, 2009
  4. hansi1

hansi1

Thank you both. Very helpful. :)

hansi1, Feb 4, 2009
  5. hansi1

jeremysdad

I was doing that from memory, as I was booted into 7 and couldn't actually look...

The "Valueadd" folder is actually just in the "C:\" directory, not in "Program Files"... :oops:

The rest of the instructions are correct... ;)

jeremysdad, Feb 4, 2009
  6. hansi1

hansi1

Thanks, When you do a system recovery bacck to factory settings, I assume that Windows XP remains on the hard drive, as they don't supply the disk to re-install the OS?

hansi1, Feb 4, 2009
  7. hansi1

hansi1

Thanks, When you do a system recovery bacck to factory settings, I assume that Windows XP remains on the hard drive, as they don't supply the disk?

hansi1, Feb 4, 2009
  8. hansi1

hansi1

I have just looked in the "Valueadd" folder and the only files in there are 3rr party, msft, banner and Valueadd. No ntbackup

hansi1, Feb 4, 2009
  9. hansi1

hansi1

Many apologies :eek: The ntbackup.exe file was in the msft folder. I was expecting to look for a folder called ntback up. Silly me! :roll:

hansi1, Feb 4, 2009
  10. hansi1

jeremysdad

No, my bad again...forgot that mention, as well. Glad you found it from my half-a**ed directions...

To your other question, the recovery partition functions like a Windows install disc, and remains intact until some outside force (i.e., me) acts to accidentally delete it with Linux installs...Otherwise, it will always be there...

jeremysdad, Feb 4, 2009
  11. hansi1

hansi1

Thanks again. :)

hansi1, Feb 5, 2009
  12. hansi1

hansi1

Thanks very much for all your help. Sorry to bother you again but I have another question (s).Sorry it's so long winded but I am a complete dumbo as far as computers are concerned. :oops: Now that I can access the back up on the computer, I notice that one of the options is to back up the whole machine and create a floppy disk which includes Windows. Does this replace the system recovery disk that Acer don't supply? I only ask because I think I have a problem with my e recovery programme. I can access it via Alt + F10 while booting up, but if I click the icon on the desktop, I get this error message."Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=OX10 (3344) Thread ID=OX998 (2456). Click OK to terminate the application, click cancel to terminate the application" What!!! Clicking on either just gets rid of the message. I really don't want to to a system recovery if I can help it, but would appreciate some advice. Alsso, my fan never switches off and again, I don't want to do anything that could fry the machine. :shock: Thanks.

hansi1, Feb 6, 2009
  13. hansi1

hansi1

Thanks very much for all your help. Sorry to bother you again but I have another question (s).Sorry it's so long winded but I am a complete dumbo as far as computers are concerned. Now that I can access the back up on the computer, I notice that one of the options is to back up the whole machine and create a floppy disk which includes Windows. Does this replace the system recovery disk that Acer don't supply? I only ask because I think I have a problem with my e recovery programme. I can access it via Alt + F10 while booting up, but if I click the icon on the desktop, I get this error message."Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=OX10 (3344) Thread ID=OX998 (2456). Click OK to terminate the application, click cancel to terminate the application" What!!! Clicking on either just gets rid of the message. I really don't want to to a system recovery if I can help it, but would appreciate some advice. Also, my fan never switches off and again, I don't want to do anything that could fry the machine. Thanks.

hansi1, Feb 6, 2009
  14. hansi1

jeremysdad

Read this to answer your q's about the floppy disk set creation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302700/

Apparently, the restore disk function is not supported in XP Home, so the way to go (how I go) is to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows and then restore from your most recent backup.

As to why your eRecovery won't work...have you tried downloading it from Acer and reinstalling it? Have you tried running it from inside Windows? If you open Disk Management, is your recovery partition still visible? (Mine is gone, so I can't test anything eRecovery related on my computer...)

jeremysdad, Feb 6, 2009
  15. hansi1

hansi1

In disk management I have Acer (c) Healthy( System) and PQ Service Healthy (EISA Coinfiguration) I guess that's ok then. How do I run the recovery from inside Windows please? I will try to download form the Acer site and will report back.

hansi1, Feb 6, 2009
  16. hansi1

jeremysdad

There should be an "Acer" entry (Think it was eMpowering? Like I mentioned, All my eRecovery is removed, I just use the factory discs now...) in your Start menu's All Programs list. Should have an eRecovery button, just click it. It'll start the program, if it is working.

If you can't find it there, you can look in C:\Program Files, and open the Acer file there and find the eRecovery .exe icon. Should start, if not, try downloading it from Acer. Make sure you get the one for the One...

Link to the Acer download site: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... e_150.html

Just select the e-recovery utility from the XP drop down menu, install, and try again. That is , if you didn't already get it going...Good luck!

jeremysdad, Feb 6, 2009
  17. hansi1

hansi1

Ok I have d/l the e recovery file from Acer and it is on my computer in zipped form Do I need to unzip them now or wait till I have to use the programme. Sorry, I did say I was a bit of a dumbo about computers :roll:

hansi1, Feb 6, 2009
  18. hansi1

jeremysdad

Everybody has to start somewhere, and there are no stupid questions... ;)

Unzip and install now, and go ahead and make sure the program will initiate. Just don't let it start recovery unless you want it to, as there is no going back... :shock: Definitely want to make sure it works now, as after a crash may be too late to install it. ;) Have you made a backup yet? After a restore, you would need to install the backup utility again, and then you can restore from your backup and not lose much time re-customizing your system. It's quite awesome when utilized properly... :)

jeremysdad, Feb 6, 2009
  19. hansi1

hansi1

No, I haven't done the back up yet, have to go out and buy a memory stick. What size should I get? And should I go through the whole install of the recovery system. I am now at the point of the licence agreement. Do I say Yes and carry on with it?

hansi1, Feb 6, 2009
  20. hansi1

jeremysdad

Yes, accept the agreement and let it go.

I have a 16 G usb drive for backups, but I would recommend an external HD, because eventually you will surpass the capacity limit of the flash drive. Or not, but I did rather quickly. My backups now are 23 G-ish in size with games and software...I use my old HDD in an enclosure for this purpose, but you can buy a small external for relatively cheap. You don't need a 500 G model for backups, 100 or less would be fine.

If you use a flash drive, you will have to format it as NTFS in order to write a backup bigger than 4 G to it. It's pretty easy to do...

jeremysdad, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question