Games crashing when played through HDMI from laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Typharius, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Typharius

Typharius

I'm using a laptop (ROG Strix G15) on my TV using a HDMI. 90% of the time everything is OK, but on a fair number of games I have this issue that occurs. I will start a game, and the TV screen either goes blank, or the game crashes with some sort of fatal error sometimes D3D related etc. If it just goes blank, I have unplugged the HDMI and low and behold it is working fine on the laptop. If it crashes, I have reloaded the game without the HDMI and it works fine on the laptop. Sometimes this issue will cause the laptop to restart or completely hang.

Some games I have a related (I think) issue where any resolution EXCEPT my laptops native resolution will crash the game, and others, anything higher than native crashes them....

If I set the laptop to duplicate display it tends to work fine as well, but I find it incredibly distracting having the second screen in my peripheral vision - This option also prevents me from accessing HDR so it really isn't a fix.

What is going on here and how can I fix it?

Typharius, Jun 13, 2023
Ask a Question