Games of the Years

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hertzian56, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

Since it's Jan 1 2024-ish still, thought I'd just go through what I think is one of the best years in pc games I can remember since I've been doing mostly pc gaming.

Hertzian56, Jan 2, 2024
  2. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

For me 2015 was probably the greatest pc game release years of all time. I'll list the games that I've played and still play that released that year.

Fallout 4
    Dying Light 1
    MGSV TPP
    Mad Max
    Witcher 3
    Kerbal
    Soma
    Dirt Rally 1
    Divinity Original Sin
    Undertale
    GTAV
    Resident Evil 1 HD
    Dark Souls 2
    Starcraft 2
    Wolfenstein Old Blood
    Project Cars
    Batman Arkham Knight
    Just Cause 3
    Resident Evil Revelations 2

Hertzian56, Jan 2, 2024
  3. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

Of that list I still play Dying Light 1 an amazing game with well done DLC The Following. Played it just now and it still looks amazing. GTA V needs no explanation really. Soma is a creepy horror game that I enjoyed could replay it easily. Fallout 4 I played for the whole Thanksgiving week of that year like 10hrs a day and played it for hundreds of hours over the years along with it's two quality DLC. Likely the last SP only FO game we'll ever get since FO76 came out, never played it don't play online games.

Resident Evil 1 HD is still a great game despite the old style fixed camera. RE Revelations 2 was also a really great game I've replayed several times. Batman Arkhan Knight was a mess for a while until they fixed it a while later, still have that installed. Dirt Rally 1 is a top level rally game that I still have installed.

The Witcher 3 needs no explanation and its amazing DLCs. Metal Gear Solid TPP is amazing game I still play and have installed. Along with it's prequel Ground Zeroes. Wolfenstein OB is a great looking game that's pretty fun.

Hertzian56, Jan 2, 2024
  4. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

The rest I've either played and for the most part enjoyed or it's one of the top 100 or so rated games of that year. The graphics in all the games from that year still hold up well today. Games were made with the SP in mind so had lengthy campaigns with fun gameplay and decent writing.

We weren't inundated with these graphical gimmicks like DLSS, RT, FrameGen and such to sell cards and games going out of their way to highlight that tech. This was I think 750Ti generation of nvidia cards so they were optimized for that and cards weren't an arm and leg at the highest levels like the 780ti. They never did an 800 level card for some reason, only in the laptop space. So skipped right to the 900 series of which I had a 960 and 970. My 2060 mobile is the equivalent of a 980ti desktop card or a 1660 Super desktop of recent times. Just below a 1070 mobile but with dlss outdoes it and better on dx12 games.

So to me 2015 was the best year in modern times aka last 15 years or so in pc games. Some have listed 2007 as a great year also and some say 2013 I'll have to look at that in future posts. In 2023 the only ones I remember that are strictly PC games are Resident Evil 4 Remake but that's the only one I still have installed. We got Ratchet and Clank Rift pc port which was great but short, looked amazing also. I had Robocop installed but wasn't too impressed it was passable. Alan Wake 2 was a huge stinker to me, indulgent and pretentious.

Hertzian56, Jan 2, 2024
  5. Hertzian56

Hertzian56

I also have Mad Max installed for years and play it now and then but lots of people still regard it highly. More of a driver and brawler game that has janky controls imo Still looks great though. GTA V I've had installed for years go back to it here and there. TW3 have had installed for years go back to it but really needs a full replay as does the Blood and Wine DLC excellent. Dark Souls 2 isn't the best loved one but I liked it for the most part. Fallout 4 I'm all played out of, try to go back a few times but it's just played out for me.

Hertzian56, Jan 2, 2024
Ask a Question