Garmin GPS drivers?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by philw, Nov 25, 2008.

1. philw

philw

I know you can connect Garmin GPS devices to Linux - a quick google shows that. Ya need a usb driver for it, then GPSbabel is in the "add remove software" list already.

The open source driver for garmin on Linux is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/garmin-gps/

... but it's a c file with a compile script which uses "make". I've not used "make" for about 20 years (I thought unix died in the 1970s), and I can't make love or anything else at the command like on this Aspire machine.

Does anybody know...
    (a) Is there a binary version of this driver available anywhere I can just install, as that sounds less hairy than compiling my own driver.
    (b) If not, how the * do I install make on this thing... and if I do, is there a c compiler built into it anyway?

thanks in advance...

philw, Nov 25, 2008
  2. philw

Wim J

Wim J, Nov 30, 2008
  3. philw

Japser

Japser, Nov 30, 2008
  4. philw

philw

thanks. I don't want to go the virtual machine route - I don't actually want to run MapSource (yucky thing that it is), although that's an interesting approach.

The other thing looks more useful for me personally. I couldn't get the open source thing to buid, so stealing the binary it from there may do the job; it can't be that complicated. I'll just back this machine up (yet again) and then I'll take the machine's life in my hands again... Actually I can use some proper usb audio stuff too, so I may need more from there. If anything works, I'll report back.

philw, Nov 30, 2008
  5. philw

ixionky

Hi,

I have been trying to get Mapsource working on the AAO, and have so far succeeded in installing the mapsource software (6.9.1 acording tot he help screen) under wine and it runs OK. However, when I try to download a route to my Garmin device (Streetpilot 2610) it fails to find the device. As far as I can tell, this is because the driver module Garim_gps is not installed on Linpus Lite. I have downloaded this and attempted to compile it but I don't know the path to the kernel sources. In fact, I know very little about the workings of Linux so how do I install the garmin_gps module and is it something I can manage without risk of damaging the Aspire 1 too much?

I have a standard Linux Linpus Lite installation on a Aspire one HD version. The version of Garmin_gps I hav downloaded is 0.32.

Thanks for any help,

Graham.

ixionky, Jan 12, 2009
  6. philw

naeemsta

did you try this
    drag the make file into terminal then click cd
    then type make
    then make file ?
    it should work.

naeemsta, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question