Genealogy for Aspire One

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nadali, Jun 13, 2009.

1. nadali

nadali

I'm looking for a reasonably compact genealogy program to run on my Linpus Aspire One. I came across GenealogyJ but the prerequisite is Java Virtual Machine version 1.5 or higher. Would this already be pre-installed on the AA1? Couldn't see it in the file system, but maybe I didn't know what to look for. And how large would it be? I want to be able to load GEDCOM files and have some sort of graphical output.

nadali, Jun 13, 2009
  2. nadali

mhgoose

mhgoose, Jun 13, 2009
  3. nadali

nadali

Thanks Martin, I shall try to give it a go.

Nick

nadali, Jun 14, 2009
  4. nadali

mhgoose

mhgoose, Jun 14, 2009
  5. nadali

nadali

Thanks Martin for showing some of your Gramps output. After thrashing about I finally downloaded a version of Gramps that seemed tailored to Red Hat.(it had an rpm extension) I believe Linpus is based upon Fedora 7 which in turn is a version of RH. I used the command yum install gramps which seemed to work OK with no error messages. By left clicking on the advanced menu I found Gramps with icon listed under Office. But when I click (L or R) on it the program seems to be starting but after about 2 seconds -nothing, no error message or anything. I'm honestly not sure where all the Gramps files are located - a lot are in /usr/share. But where would the executable files be? In /usr/bin there is a Bourne shell script which is supposedly executable called gramps, but typing this returns a Segmentation fault message. Sorry but my grasp of linux is weak to say the least.

nadali, Jun 17, 2009
  6. nadali

RockDoctor

Linpus is based on Fedora 8 (which is long past its end-of-life). Gramps is in the Fedora repositories; if you can find a Fedora 8 repository, it will have gramps and all its dependencies. Mixing program sources leads to strange errors.Your problem appears to be due to a missing dependency or incorrect library version. You could try running gramps from a terminal window to see if any error messages ae being printed. Just open a terminal window and type gramps

RockDoctor, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question