General noob questions

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Mikell, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Mikell

Mikell

Ok, so im pretty new to computer stuff, I know a little, but nothing really, lol.

First things first, bought the AAO in my sig.
    Just got it today.
    What should I do to it to make it run best?

Things to remove that it came with?(Bloatware or something? Ive no idea what it is, or where to find it, lol.)
    Things to install? (I hear something about firefox?)
    Things to update? (Drivers? Where to get them? Which ones?)

I seemed to have a little trouble connecting to my home wireless network at first, kept saying Internet explorer could not open this page. It seemed ok after I turned the popup blocker off, dont know if that was a cooincidence or not? But it seems to be working ok now, might of just been my home internet.

They dont have any case to put on it to maybe absorb some bumps it might take in my bag do they? Not a carrying case, something that covers the laptop and stays on or something, like a skin but protective?

Thanks
    -Steve-

Mikell, Feb 25, 2009
  2. Mikell

BelgianAlien

Things To Remove:

McAfee
    MS Works
    MS Office Trial

Things to install:

FireFox (much better browser, available at www.mozilla.com)
    Open Office (Free office software suite, supports all MS office file formats, runs much smoother. Free download at www.openoffice.org)

For Antivirus I use Avast Home Edition (free). I have my windows firewall turned on and the firewall in both my routers (elaborate setup, I know, but I have 6 computers in my home). I have never had issues with this setup in the 4 years I have had it this way. No viruses, no hack attacks.

I'm trying to remember what all came preinstalled that I ended up removing, but those are the only ones that come to mind immediately.

BelgianAlien, Feb 25, 2009
  3. Mikell

Mikell

Thanks alot, I have gotten firefox, and avast pro.
    Going to look into that office set up and getting rid of the stuff that came with it.

what is this im reading about bloatware? What is it and where do I get rid of it?

Is there anything we can buy that we can say, plug into a USB port or something that will enhance the strength of our wireless system?

Now that I have Firefox, can I get rid of Internet explorer? Or just dont use it?

Thanks

Mikell, Feb 26, 2009
  4. Mikell

jeremysdad

Uninstalling IE borks Windows...just don't use it...

And there are sites that rely upon IE, like MS update site...can't update w/o IE...

jeremysdad, Feb 26, 2009
  5. Mikell

BelgianAlien

Bloatware is just a term used for the software and trial software that comes pre-installed on new computers.

BelgianAlien, Feb 28, 2009
  6. Mikell

lmadden

HELP! MS Office Trial warning

The Office trial came with my Acer Aspire One. I uninstalled it and installed a full legal copy of MS Office purchased with my educational institution discount. However, the Activation Wizard with warnings of <xx> uses left, and "I want to activate over the internet" keep popping up. Theoretically I have only 10 uses left. How do I get rid of this unnecessary warning? Will it deactivate my full legal copy of Office?

I'm fairly computer savvy, but this has me stumped.

lmadden, Dec 30, 2009
  7. Mikell

Forone

Before you do anything, go the Microsoft Update and download all the updates for Windows and "optional" updates for the Acer's drivers, e.g. wi-fi, audio. You should also update to Internet Explorer 8 even if you don't want to use IE as default browser.

The uninstall utility in XP (add/remove programs) is not complete. Use free utility Revo Uninstaller (advanced mode, select and delete everything) to uninstall. You'll see and be surprised at how much the ordinary uninstall leaves behind.

Also use CCleaner (both file and registry butons) to keep XP running smoothly without a buildup of useless file and registry entries. It will find and want to delete more than you're comfortable with at first, but do it.

Defragment the hard drive now and then.

I agree with replacing McAfee with more effective/resource efficient malware fighter: good deals on Norton post Xmas, which I think is the best, but the new Microsoft Security Essentials is free and getting good marks. What you do with other applications depends on what you want to use.

Re the wi-fi, check this forum for directions on how to go into the Device Driver and disable "power saving" on the Atheros driver - that has improved performance significantly for a lot of people.

Don't trust me. Always doublecheck any advice you get by googling other sources. There are some other threads here with laundry lists of ideas for applications and settings.

Forone, Dec 30, 2009
  8. Mikell

susanqt2

I did this! I love firefox, open office, google talk(mail), Skype. These are great free programs!!!!
    Because my ISP has a anti-virus program free, I use that. :D

susanqt2, Jan 1, 2010
  9. Mikell

MaLfUnCtIoN

install windows defender, and microsoft security essentials. also firefox and a program called open office. open office is the best free set of office software i've ever seen. and of course a different browser than IE is a must. theres many to choose from; opera, firefox, chrome. its personal preference. i prefer firefox.

theres tons of bloatware. its fairly easy to figure out what to remove. if you know what a program is and you wont use it, remove it. if you dont know what a program is, google it before removal because it might be essential.

MaLfUnCtIoN, Jan 10, 2010
Ask a Question