General slw performance.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by TheBob, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TheBob

TheBob

Maybe I'm just spoiled from my desktop, but loding things in the AA1 is just slow. Other things seem to snail by as well. I looked up on newegg and found a 2GB ram stick for $20. I'll be ordering that. Is it worth replacing the hard drive for a faster one. I have the windows xp 120gb HD 1GB ram model I picked up from my local walmart. Also is there any way to overclock the atom or gpu? My temps are great and I have seen it done on the wind.

TheBob, Dec 9, 2008
  2. TheBob

goofball

you should do more research. That 2GB stick is useless for the AAO as it can't take 2GB modules.
    No way to overclock the AAO.
    I think it's worth changing. I put in a 7200rpm HDD and it makes it much snappier to respond.

goofball, Dec 9, 2008
  3. TheBob

TheBob

That's what I'm doing now. I just picked this bad boy up the other day. :mrgreen: So 1GB max on the memory. Can I put two one GB sticks in? Also is there a certain hdd I should look for? What size is it? Is it a normal laptop hdd? Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance.

TheBob, Dec 9, 2008
  4. TheBob

hansbehrends

there is only one RAM slot. This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads - the one will not accept anything other than 1GB sticks in the slot. The 1GB it ships with consists of 512MB soldered on the motherboard and a 512MB in the slot. It is a bit tedious to replace that 512MB stick, as you have to open the one very carefully and dig into it from the top down basically. Make sure you have a set of quality miniature screw drivers (that you can actually grip and turn with your hand), and a steady hand. You have to be careful when lifting the keyboard out: there are three tabs at the top of it that must be pushed in with a tiny flathead, while using another tiny flathead to lift it up carefully. Then, look out for the ribbon cables. If you bring patience and take the time to look at everything you see, you will be fine.

As for the HDD, any serial ATA hdd made for laptops will be fine. That is to say, you will want to get an SATA 2.5" notebook hard drive that spins at 7200 rpm. Get one that's greater than 120GB in capacity, might as well. But if you're going to get that (7200 rpm), you may as well also pick up another battery that is at least 6-cell as the new hdd will use more juice. I still have the stock 3-cell battery and stock 120GB hdd in my AOA 150, and I get just over two hours in Windows Vista doing regular stuff - my wifi is always on. I will spring for a monster 7800mah 9-cell because I am tired of running out of juice after a couple hours.

hansbehrends, Dec 18, 2008
  5. TheBob

DiSK

Yup, you're spoiled from your desktop.

My AAO outperforms my desktop, a P4 2.4Ghz. I mean, it feels faster, plays games better, etc. If you had a dual-core CPU or above, I guess the AAO would be crap compared to that. But, what do you expect?

Can't overclock the AAO. Max RAM is 1.5GB, 512MB soldered. HDD is just a regular SATA 2.5".

If you want the AAO to "feel" like it's running well, maybe go buy a used P2, put XP on it, use it for 2 weeks, then use the AAO? Hahaha.

DiSK, Dec 20, 2008
  6. TheBob

AnotherHappyAAOuser

you might just have a crappy video card in your desktop... or motherboard.

AnotherHappyAAOuser, Jan 9, 2009
  7. TheBob

Ranger Wolf

haha i know what you mean

My desktop is a AMD semprom 3000 2.0 gHz, 756DDR1 ram at 266 mHz. The One is amazing compared to my desktop!

Ranger Wolf, Jan 9, 2009
  8. TheBob

Tamrac

Why buy a netbook if you want speed? :?: Don't forget you only paid $300 for this. :lol:

Many already mentioned that you can't put a 2gb stick in your AAO. You can tweak your XP to improve speed, alot of tips can be found in this forum. Or like mentioned above, swap your HD to a 7200rpm one.

Tamrac, Jan 10, 2009
  9. TheBob

jackluo923

it's possible to overclock aao by changing the pll clockgenerator through crystalid (not sure about the exact spelling).

It's also possible for you to use your 2gb ddr2 ram. you'll have to disable the onboard ram by either hacking the bios or physically disabling it (e.g. cut its power. etc)

Upgrading to 7200RPM drive will make the computer potentially a bit faster. If you're planning to buy 7200RPM drive that's more than a year old, you'd be better off with a latest generation 5400RPM one since it'll be faster. The HDD in AAO is pretty fast (ranging from 60-70MB throughtput and about 100MB burst speed). Compared with 7200RPM from 3 years ago, it's about 2 or 3 times faster. You could also buy SSD (Not the kind that's on the AAO), which is much faster than HDD. You'll notice siginificant performance boost if you use a fast SSD. (e.g. samsung 256GB SSD which is more expensive than the AAO itself)

The computer feels snapier and more responsive is because of its inefficient hyperthreading. It's actually a side effect of the inefficiency. Since core processes such as explorer, svchost,taskmgr, system..etc are better suited for hyperthreading thus using processing capabilities that other programs cannot use. Since rarely any program can make use of hyperthreading efficiently (85% or more) these extra proccessing capabilities are essentially reserved for the core processes thus making your computer more responsive.

jackluo923, Jan 10, 2009
Ask a Question