Get the Linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rjm

Guest Guest

Any ideas on how to delete wallpapers from the backdrops folder?

Guest, Jan 24, 2009
  2. rjm

solpuerto

Hi Jack

Tried what you suggested but could not find a way to add the "gnome-screenshot" with a shortcut using PrtSc. By adding linpus (not sure why I tried that) to the themes I did get a /user/bin/gnome-screenshot command but with the shortcut "Control+ESC" and that did work.
    I then did a search of the forum using "binding profile" and found a method on page 16 of this thread. It was not quite what I was after but by editing the relevant bits I can now get a screen shot by using PrtSc.
    Interestingly if I have the xfce Menu on the screen neither way works????????????

For anyone interested here it is, but thanks to other posters for clue.

In Terminal type xhkconf
    Press the PrtSc key
    Press y to overwrite current setting
    Press 2 for application
    Type /usr/bin/gnome-screenshot
    Press 3 to disable error messages
    Press y to accept
    Then Reboot.

Jack many thanks for response and here is the proof.

solpuerto, Jan 24, 2009
  3. rjm

solpuerto

Ownership of Backdrops Folder

If you look at my post on the previous page you will see how the "user" can take ownership of the folder and can therefore delete items fom it.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Jan 24, 2009
  4. rjm

Rapax

Re: Ownership of Backdrops Folder

Yes, that would work, but I have a bad feeling about changing the ownership of a system folder. Better to just sudo the delete command.

Rapax, Jan 25, 2009
  5. rjm

smalltownboys

Taking my courage in my hands, and a copy of your instructions, I followed the steps, lost my Linux virginity and now I have an AA1 that looks the way I want it to. The default desktop is functional but it does look clumsy and a bit 'basic'. Now I have a desktop that I can't wait to show of to others. Thank you so much.

smalltownboys, Jan 25, 2009
  6. rjm

thaman092

After I perform this hack. everything goes well, but I can't seem to launch the task manager using ctrl+alt+del, Is there any other way I can open it? Otherwise this is a great one Thanks!!!

thaman092, Jan 29, 2009
  7. rjm

Jack Vermicelli

Go into Settings->Keyboard Settings, and bind Ctrl+Alt+Del to "gnome-system-monitor". There's more posts about doing that elsewhere, I think farther back in this thread.

Jack Vermicelli, Jan 29, 2009
  8. rjm

malstead

Hi
    Just a note to say a massive thanx to rpm and all the other contributors for this great how to. I love my new personalised desktop, more usable home keyboard button and blended in desktop icons. Cheers!

malstead, Jan 30, 2009
  9. rjm

rogermc

Hi,
    I tried to download gnome to get a better desktop. I have the AA1 150 with Linpus. After loading the file, when the netbook starts up, I have a tool bar at the bottom of the screen but the rest of the screen is black. When I try to open the terminal or right click for the advanced menu, nothing happens. Any help on sorting this much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Rog

rogermc, Jan 31, 2009
  10. rjm

thaman092

i have performed this hack, and it works well (as I have stated in previous posts) but I am unable to restore my aspire one now, to its factory state. I am having major problems that may only be able to be fixed by a reset. Could someone help me with restoring it?

thaman092, Feb 9, 2009
  11. rjm

Jack Vermicelli

Is your recovery disk (with the instructions on it) not doing the trick? If you've got a usb flash/harddisk/dvd drive (any of the above), you're in business.

Jack Vermicelli, Feb 9, 2009
  12. rjm

Guest Guest

you need access to a windows computer to get a full factory restore
    (1) insert a fast usb key (i used a sandisk cruiser) in the windows computer

(2) insert the recovery cd in the drive of the windows computer and boot this computer it will start up as an acer aspire one follow the on screen prompts

(3) when it has finished remove the usb drive and cd then insert the usb in the AA1 and turn it on press [F12] and select your usb drive if your usb is not showing reboot and press [F2] and change the boot order to usb reboot press [F12] follow on screen prompts after a a reboot you will have a factory AA1

mike46

Guest, Feb 9, 2009
  13. rjm

sele01

Be careful with the recovery CD. I chose the wrong option, selected a second disk drive instead of the USB stick, and lost amonst other things five years' worth of photos, as it turned the whole disk drive into a MBR (Master Boot Record)

sele01, Feb 9, 2009
  14. rjm

solpuerto

Hi theman092

Just to add to what "mike46" said, make sure your windows PC is set up to boot from the CD/DVD drive and then proceed as he outlines. Also though the Acer instructions say a 1gb USB stick, when I tried it told me it was not large enough. If you do not have access to a Windows PC you will need an external USB CD/DVD drive connected to the Aspire and boot from that as per "mike46".

One other point, when you have rebuilt your Aspire to what you want google "macles" and build yourself a backup/recovery USB stick as per his instructions. It will give you considerable comfort when you play about with your system and avoid you having to resort to the Acer Factory recovery. About the most essential tool I have used and for any Linux newbie.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 9, 2009
  15. rjm

Pierre

EDIT: nevermind... big DOH!

Pierre, Feb 12, 2009
  16. rjm

sagebrush

JUST INSTALL THE FULL VERSION OF LINUX MINT AND YOU WONT HAVE THESE STUPID ISSUES...
    YOU WILL NEED TO GET THE WIFI DRIVER FOR IT FROM THE APSIRE LINUX DEPOSTIORY

sagebrush, Feb 16, 2009
  17. rjm

TheTilde

Hi!
    Thank you rjm, I use your tricks and have them implemented on friend's acer one.
    Just one little problem :
    if I connect a second monitor to the acer one, then fire "xfce-setting-show display" , I'm asked to choose resolution and display screen. If I choose external monitor, blong! here appears the old acer desktop!! :-D :-D
    Strange that xfce triggers this... but a "killall xfdesktop2" saves the day :-D
    The Tilde

TheTilde, Feb 17, 2009
  18. rjm

Pierre

Quick question for the thread starter... How does your 'alternative' method work? Omit step one and move straight into step two is what I gathered...? You mentioned that it makes all the known bugs from the main way of doing things go away?

EDIT: well I did it all today. I didn't manage to backup the system so I just plunged in.

I get 100% functionality. I did it just according to the first tutorial and I got those same known bugs. A quick skip to pages 9, 10 to solve most of these, then save the prntscr button and it all works like a charm!

However

I would like to use just the home button to show home. Pegasus showed us how to do this, it works fine. But I also changed the menu key (k117) to show the menu, and I use home + d to show the dekstop. I would like to just use the home key to keep it simple.
    Now the way I understood it, Pegasus modified the superhome file which was associated with the home key (k115) to show the menu instead, and then reassigned it to key 117, while deactivating key 115. Reactivating 115 with superhome will only make it show the menu as well.
    So I considered creating another file with the first thing in Pegasus' tutorial, call it superhome2 or whatever I want, and reinsert the line in the key setup about k115, linked to that superhome2 program.
    Only thing there is, I have no idea how to create such a file :(

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

Pierre, Feb 26, 2009
  19. rjm

wmull

Is this solved yet?
    Because I want to get rid of it too.

thanks

wmull, Mar 2, 2009
  20. rjm

andymaxwell

thank you so much for this great guide, much appreciated.

andymaxwell, Mar 7, 2009
Ask a Question