Get the Linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rjm

andymaxwell

I am having a problem with the xcfe panel (ie the taskbar). When I position it at the top of the screen it insits on quadrupling its height. It is nolonger one icon high, but takes up half the screen! Can I fix this, I would love my system to be more mac like. :)

andymaxwell, Mar 7, 2009
  2. rjm

TheTilde

I think that's because you are using the xfce4-panel modified by linpus. You can check the name with this command in a terminal:
    ps ax | grep panel

The non-modified one is called xfce4-panel.old I think (check in /usr/bin:

in a terminal
    cd /usr/bin
    ls xfce4-panel*

)

Hope it helps
    TheTilde

TheTilde, Mar 9, 2009
  3. rjm

Mox

Hey, big thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread! Got my desktop just as i wanted :mrgreen:

Mox, Mar 12, 2009
  4. rjm

moejoe

I simply cannot thank you enough!

You are my god for the day.

Moejoe

moejoe, Mar 13, 2009
  5. rjm

RSN

First of all my compliments for this great forum and topic!

I followed every step and even me, a linux noob, made it. There is only one big but!
    It's very strange, but it seem I am not able to create shortcuts. So basically I get stuck at point 9. I find the applications map.
    I resize the screen so a part of the desktop is visible and drag the icons to the desktop as suggested. At the moment there appears no shortcut/icon.
    And after a reboot I still dont have a shortcut/icon.

Thanks in advance.

RSN, Mar 23, 2009
  6. rjm

wmull

be shure the thunar window is on the right side and dragging the icons to the left.

wmull, Mar 27, 2009
  7. rjm

RSN

i do that all the time, it is not working.
    i only open thunar and drag the icons to the desktop.
    what is meant with ~desktop?

RSN, Mar 29, 2009
  8. rjm

Grooving tony

Hi i followed this tutorial up to step 5 the reboot section and now i can't do anything. alt + F2 wont bring up the run dialogue and there are no icons to get anything. Am i going to have to do a system restore?

Seen the same problem on the second page, i must have done a typo

Grooving tony, Mar 31, 2009
  9. rjm

Grooving tony

ok i've managed to get the recovery cd on to an mp3 player, it's the only thing that i could find that was big enough to hold the recovery, but now when i boot it i have a completely black screen with a little white bar flashing at the top. Is this because i'm trying to boot it from an mp3 player and not a memory stick?

Grooving tony, Mar 31, 2009
  10. rjm

DAB

FAO Grooving tony

Hello Tony, you may not be away that the aspire One series can not use USB drives greater than 4GB, is the mp3 player you are using of greater capacity?, I had the same problem when using a 8GB USB drive, I spoke to the ACER support team and was informed of the USB size limit and recommended I get myself a 2Gb unit, so I nipped out to my local Tesco’s and bought one (£5) after running the recovery disc again and following the instructions to create a bootable USB Stick it worked fine.
    Hope this helps.

DAB, Apr 7, 2009
  11. rjm

Guest Guest

well i have successfully used a 250GB usb harddrive to do a full as is backup of my linpus AAO using macles easybackup tool. I also use this drive to store files to exchange with windows computers as long as the files do not exceed 4gb everything is fine

mike46

Guest, Apr 10, 2009
  12. rjm

newbie01

Hi im new to all this as im sure you will gather by my question.

I have followed the above steps and i must say its worked brilliantly and is defiantly near idiot proof however when i do REBOOT it goes back to the 4 panel display unitl i uncheck and check the "allow xfce to manage desktop box" were it then come back.. how do i get it to stay as i intend.

iv tried to use the sudo cp line but it returns a error message saying that the root or the file cannot be found or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you need any more info please message.

Thanks, Josh

newbie01, May 15, 2009
  13. rjm

TheTilde

hi
    can you post the exact line you want to execute and the exact error message?

TheTilde, May 28, 2009
  14. rjm

the_TRiB

I want to apologize if this has been asked before, but i searched to no avail. So I'm having trouble on step number 8; which is writing the new file xcdesktoprc. As with all the other instructions, i followed it to a tee, copied and pasted what i could, but when i try to save the file, it claims i can't open that file to write. I'm certain I'm logged in as a root user.

I also had trouble moving the photo chosen to the backdrops directory. It doesn't recognize /Pictures/xkcdwallpaper2.png as a directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the_TRiB, Jul 8, 2009
  15. rjm

claret

Just wanted to say a big thank you for posting such a great guide. I'm a total newbie (still dont fully understand Linux), was terrified about doing this, but followed it to the letter and i'm pleased as punch with the outcome!

Here's my screenshot:

[​IMG]

claret, Jul 8, 2009
  16. rjm

miksu3

Is this safa mod? What I do if I have proplem with this?
    Working desktop swicher after that?

miksu3, Jul 13, 2009
  17. rjm

jforbes

Just to add my thanks - my Aspire One now feels like a proper laptop! Everything works fine including USB devices. :D

Like others I had slight problem after the first reboot finding firefox so I could get back to these instructions, but otherwise worked like a dream

jforbes, Jul 18, 2009
  18. rjm

angeldamian

Thanks!... your post was very usefull to me! :D

angeldamian, Oct 22, 2009
  19. rjm

kingdragon

Very nice!!!

kingdragon, Oct 27, 2009
  20. rjm

incredible

Hi
    I really want to follow the steps but I have problems with the first few steps.
    When I press Alt F2 nothing comes up and when I search on my laptop there is absolutely nothing called terminal =( I need help. I hate not being able to personalise my things.

incredible, Nov 18, 2009
Ask a Question