Getting any flavour of windows to run

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by tercero, Mar 31, 2011.

1. tercero

tercero

I modified my A0A110 earlier this year after the 8gb Intel SSD died. I purchased lif cables and a 16gb Transcend CF and adapter and with a little bit of effort got the ZG5 to recognize the drive (bio 3310). The problem is I can't get any version of windows (XP, Vista, 7) to recognize the drive after the install. Linux. Not a problem. Up until now I've been running Ubuntu 10 without a problem. But, my wife would like to run Windows (her netbook).
    There's no option for SATA>AHCI in the bios (thought maybe that was the problem). Is there someway or some reason Windows is not recognized on these types of modifications?

J.

specifically the error

For Windows 7

File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred

For XP

NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt

(tried replacing it, but still got the same error)

tercero, Mar 31, 2011
  2. tercero

tercero

I've spent all day trying to get ANY version of Windows to work. Nope. Guess I'm screwed. It's strange. I looked at the BCD file and everything looks the way it should. Pointing at C:\ and \bootmgr and looking for the correct \windows\system32\winload.exe. Is it a problem where the bios won't look at CF cards? I'm confused. Why will ubuntu load then and not windows.

tercero, Apr 1, 2011
  3. tercero

tercero

What? 3 days and not one answer?

I guess it's a dead site.

tercero, Apr 2, 2011
  4. tercero

Swarvey Moderator

1. Three days without a reply does not denote a dead site, especially when you're having problems that most of us have probably never seen.
    2. Trying to install Win7 on a tiny little 8Gb SSD is going to cause problems anyway, there's simply not enough room for the OS, swap files, not to mention IF you got it to install you'd have virtually no space left to install any other applications (see the link in my sig RE: SSD drives and lost space)
    3. The problem you're having sounds like it could be caused by either lack of space (thus not enough room for Windows to create a swap file, thus it will crash as if it's out of memory), or by a fault in the partition - Have you tried using the Windows installation to clean the drive of all partitions and allowed Windows to create and format it's own?
    4. The missing NTOSKERNEL bug can happen when Win XP hasn't been updated to SP2, have you tried a different installation media, or slipstreaming your own? - You'll have better luck with a trimmed down (nLite'd, vLite'd, RT7Lite'd) installation media
    5. Googling the error code 0xC0000E9 tells me that your partitions are damaged, boot from your installation media, open a command prompt and clean the disk
    * Win XP, start the installer, tell the installer to delete all paritions and start from scratch
    * Win7, start the installation, when it comes time to choose a drive, CTRL+Shift+F10 should open a command window, type DISKPART and press enter, type LIST DISK to show available drives on the computer, SELECT DISK # (# represents the number of the drive), CLEAN, wait for it to tell you the operation has completed, close the command window, refresh the drive list and continue the installation

Swarvey, Apr 3, 2011
Ask a Question