getting rid of Linux and changing to windows

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

as a long-time Windows-user I am totally frustratzed with Linux on my new aspire one with 8 GB

It's almost impossible to install skype, and absolutely impossible to find and install driver for Huawei UMTS and HSDPA Modem

can anyone tell me if it's possible to replace Linux with Windows XP and how to do it???

Thanks and kind regards
    CF

Fuerst, Sep 4, 2008
  2. Fuerst

callmelolo

I feel like you...
    I thought this Linux experience would be a great opportunity to try something new and enjoy tweaking averything around but it appears to be the territory of programers and geek seniors.
    Any help to convert to XP or Vista (light prefered) would be much appreciated.

Lolo

callmelolo, Sep 4, 2008
  3. Fuerst

jlozinski

i understand your frustration. linpus does not reflect the ease of use for normal linux (e.g. ubuntu) installing is a pain and getting it up and running is a faff.. ubuntu out of the box is far better, sadly there's not an out of the box install for the AAO which has some flakey hardware at present... This is steadily improving, so you should be able to install ubuntu in a nice easy way (similar to the restore cd) soon.

If you want to exit to windows, I presume it's as much work as installing and getting ubuntu on it (although it will have quick driver installs). Best place to look would be at the eeePC user's forums, as well as elswhere on this , because of the lack of CD drive it's not as straight forward.

jlozinski, Sep 4, 2008
  4. Fuerst

dinkydarko

i recommend taking the time to search and read what people have taken their time to post here. everything you need in in these forums. I can tell u know skype works simply. just follow the instruction on this site.
    as for the HSDPA support we are waiting on acer for that ...

but, if you do want to intstall windows on it i have a feeling you'll need a external CD drive as the instructions here http://www.jcmiras.net/surge/p96.htm are more complicated looking than installing skype...

dinkydarko, Sep 4, 2008
  5. Fuerst

pdox

I too use a lot of windows apps so I did the switch yesterday, you can read about my experience and also view two videos I made in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2730

pdox, Sep 4, 2008
  6. Fuerst

callmelolo

Done !

A stress free install and everything is going well with Windows XP.
    Sorry Linpus fans but the transition for me was simply too hard and I couldn't spend time for studying all the alternatives to the Windows softs.

Follow this post for instructions and great experience and thank you RON
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4201&p=29322#p29322

callmelolo, Sep 29, 2008
  7. Fuerst

kevin

You don't have to apologise to me -- the more people wimp out and install Windows on their AA1s, the more I can feel smug and superior :)

Only kidding... you've really got to see the long-term benefit of Linux to make it worth the effort of getting to grips with it. I suspect that for many people it's just not worth the effort. I've been using Linux for ten years, and other forms of unix for twenty; so I feel the same way whenever I contemplate using Windows.

kevin, Sep 29, 2008
  8. Fuerst

soderkvist

I tried Xp but it was far too slow for me. Terrible performance actually. Even though I removed alot with that "making xp smaller thing" dont remember it's name and made some tweaks I found in the the forum. My small and fast netbook went from being small and fast to a target of public laughter good for nothing :?

soderkvist, Sep 29, 2008
  9. Fuerst

kevin

I'd be surprised if anyone can get Windows XP working tolerably well on the 8GB SSD model with 512Mb. WIth a hard disk and 1Gb, you're at least in with a chance.

kevin, Sep 29, 2008
  10. Fuerst

Grim Squeaker

People tend to exaggerate the requirements of XP ffor office use. An 800 MHZ machine with 512 mb ram is plenty - and the One exceeds that.

The SDdrive will be the bottleneck. Not the CPU or RAM.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 29, 2008
  11. Fuerst

kevin

Yeah. That's why I said with a hard disk :/

kevin, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question