glitch when typing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Stevejberry, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Stevejberry

Stevejberry

Iv noticed a very annoying glitch with the aao linpus while typing in pidgin chat channels

when i type i sometimes get a automatic paste of whatever is in my firefox url editbox .. for instance.

if i have http://www.yahoo.com in the url editbox of firefox. and i start typing in a channel. it will automaticly paste that while i'm tying.

i tried to repeat the exact keystrokes and it turns out the key "b" is the culprit.

now here's where it's weird, sometimes it doesnt get the url editbox but sometimes the entire visual page of firefox and it pastes it.

this is not what's in the cut/paste memory. cause i have not cut and pasted. but possibly what was highlighted...

so any suggestions should i check bug reports on pidgin to find out why it's doing this.

Stevejberry, Nov 28, 2008
  2. Stevejberry

karona

I've never used pidgin, but get that problem too. I'd thought it was a problem with the touchpad, with 'paste' mapped to one spot on the pad, and I'm extremely prone to letting my palm touch the pad while I'm typing. :cry:

there's a post in here detailing a way to disable the touchpad while you type, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

Keith

karona, Nov 28, 2008
  3. Stevejberry

rbil

The command to disable the touchpad when typing is:

Code:
    syndaemon -i 2 -d
    The "2" can be set to how many seconds you want before the touchpad will work again after you stop typing on the keyboard.

To make this permanent, rather than having to run it each time you startup, from a terminal, or using ALT-F2, you can run the command:

Code:
    xfce4-autostart-editor
    and add the command there.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 29, 2008
  4. Stevejberry

Stevejberry

i'm testing the 2 second delay of the touchpad while typing trick. if it works i'll let everyone know.

thanks

Stevejberry, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Stevejberry

daldred

It's a feature of Linux GUIs that a middle-click on a mouse pastes in whatever was last highlighted. To copy across from one application to another, instead of:
    - highlight- right click - select 'copy' - left click - change application - right click - select 'paste' - left click
    you just
    - highlight - change application - middle-click

It's great when you know it's there, but confusing if you don't; as other have said you're probably catching the touchpad while typing, and hitting the part of the touchpad which is emulating a middle-click. But it's probably worth explaining what it is so that you can use it deliberately to improve efficiency in the future.

daldred, Dec 2, 2008
Ask a Question