Gnome or KDE desktop ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by celticbhoy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. celticbhoy

celticbhoy

Is there a how-to on the forum's that will allow me to install either Gnome or KDE ?

I have had a look about, but cant find one that works for me, the only one for gnome gave problems with dependencies.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

celticbhoy, Dec 17, 2008
  2. celticbhoy

janss

Did I understand you correctly; you want to install Gnome or KDE desktop to the standard Linpus installation of the One?

That might prove to be difficult, since Acer has modded the Linpus install pretty extensively and instlalling a different GUI on top of it would very possibly break the whole installation alltogether.

If you need a more flexible system than what Linpus can offer you with the normal "easy interface" or the desktop hack, I recommend to install a completely different distribution. I currently use Ubuntu Netbook Remix myself, and I'm very happy with it. Also normal distros will install pretty easily onto the One, you might want to give one of them a spin :geek:

janss, Dec 17, 2008
  3. celticbhoy

CalebW

I'm using KDE desktop with the preinstalled Linpus Linux, and it works fine for me. I installed the KDE packages using yum (I think this took a little bit of fiddling to get it to install the right stuff, but it wasn't too complicated - I've only been using Linux since getting the Aspire One back in October and I'm still a relative newbie to it), then enabled the GDM login, and used GDM to choose KDE for the session, and set KDE to the session default.

To get GNOME based applications to integrate with the KDE interface, I've set KDE to load xfce-mcs-manager, so I can use xfce-setting-show to modify the User Interface settings. I've picked a theme that will inherit the KDE theme colours (I use xfce-basic) and to set it to the same font settings as the KDE theme, so all my applications match up nicely.

I really like the KDE interface - I find it smart and easy to use. I'd attach a screengrab, but apparently "the board attachment quota has been reached".

CalebW, Dec 17, 2008
Ask a Question