Gnome panel disappeared

Discussion in 'Linux' started by krisaxe, Feb 3, 2009.

1. krisaxe

krisaxe

hi all, i've been using linux4one for a few days and everything worked well, until i decided i wanted to change the desktop from the netbook remix to the normal gnome one.. i found some instructions on the l4o forum, so i disabled the UME desktop luncher, and i got the normal desktop.
    Something went wrong when i was trying to add applets to the panel, so i restarted the system, only to find a completely "naked" desktop at reboot.. i managed to re-enable the UME desktop launcher from the terminal, but even after that the upper panel was missing. I even tried to install the gnome desktop with apt-get but still no joy..
    From my very limited linux knowledge i assume the panel must have got corrupted or broken when the system crashed and i rebooted it, but i have no idea how to fix it (if it's possible to do so)..

as anyone got any idea what i could do or i should just reinstall the OS?

cheers,

kris

krisaxe, Feb 3, 2009
  2. krisaxe

mattytee

In a terminal, try
    Code:
    gnome-panel
    If you get a message that it's already running,
    Code:
    sudo killall gnome-panel
    and try to start it again.

If you get something else, tell us.

You should also check that it's set to gnome at login - if it's set to run an xsession and no xsession file exists, no panel appears.

mattytee, Feb 5, 2009
  3. krisaxe

hillsoft

You can also delete your gnome panel preferences and then relog in and they should be replaced with the default. So give this a try if mattytee's suggestions don't help.

Bring up a terminal and type

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

Then log out and log back in.

hillsoft, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question