going to try jolicloud tonight..

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Twan013, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Twan013

Pytheas

Both my wireless card and connection worked out-of-the-box, without me changing any settings. In fact, even if the wireless adapter was previously disabled by the switch, after booting in Jolicloud the adapter was enabled and connected to my home network. Your problem is weird and I hope the link above (previous message) will help you solve it.

Pytheas, Feb 28, 2010
  2. Twan013

Cal_User

Thanks for the help. After running the update and rebooting, the wifi worked. The last remaining issue appears to be the microphone which the Ubantu link earlier addressed.

The Jolicloud user interface is very nice and clean. Most of the applications are really just bookmarks for a browser. Clicking on a icon to open Gmail is really not much handier than clicking on a bookmark after the browser opens, and no faster. It is also a little bothersome to have to go back to the desktop to open another instance to check Facebook or Reader. Speed in the UI is very fast and reactive but once you do anything like open a browser or an app it is about the same speed as the Vista installation I am running. Vista was pretty slow when I got the computer but with a good cleaning and disabling or deleting unneeded stuff, Vista has been very acceptable, pretty much as fast as XP.

I will try Jolicloud for a while, but my initial feeling is that it doesn't really add anything to the experience other than an interesting user interface and snappy performance until you actually do something. If you have a rabid hate of Microsoft or have a netbook that needs an operating system, it looks like a fairly simple to use flavor of Linux, but it is Linux and so requires a lot more dedication than windows in order to live with it.

Cal_User, Feb 28, 2010
  3. Twan013

Twan013

So, I think I've found the problem. Its not my hard drive or the USB. When you load a live USB, usually, you have the option to check the integrity of the USB or check it for errors (same thing, different wording, depending on distro). I couldn't find this option on jolicloud, but on the other distros I tried (UNR and Mint 8 last night), there were errors in the USB. One had 7, and the other only had 2. I googled the problem, and it appears that the only problem is that the ISO was messed up from the source. People who had this problem just re-downloaded the same thing from another source (mirror), and everything worked fine! I haven't personally tried this yet, because it was too late last night to wait for another download, so I'm going to try it as soon as I get home tonight.

Twan013, Mar 3, 2010
  4. Twan013

Pytheas

I have been using Jolicloud more and more during the last days. Not only it's really fun to use but I still haven't had a single freeze. Has anyone experienced a freeze when using Jolicloud? :?:

I still miss some of the applications I use in Windows and of course I am waiting for a Greek keyboard but I can live without them for a couple of hours.

One of the bugs I found annoying is the lack of battery meter in the tray. Some say that this bug is fixed after a restart, some use a script (I don't know how to use a script under Jolicloud) but I still have this problem and I don't know how much battery I have left! :(

Any suggestions or fixes for this bug?

Pytheas, Mar 13, 2010
  5. Twan013

Pytheas

Well, I found the solutions to the two problems I mentioned in my earlier posts!

Greek Keyboard: I was blind enough not to see the the Keyboard settings under the Preferences menu. Now I have I fully working Greek keyboard. The only bug I found is that when I selected the NumLock led to light each time I switch to the Greek keyboard, it made the "m" key work as the Overwrite, so it was useless. I hope there will be a fix for that bug.

Battery Icon: I found a script on the net, that I had to execute in order to have the battery icon displayed in the top right tray. It is as follows:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
    I did this by manually entering the two aforementioned lines in the Terminal application. Unfortunately I don't know how to make a script running automatically at startup, but I am sure I will figure this out, too!

I plan to use Jolicloud intensively during the next days, in order to check for any freeze of my netbook, so expect more feedback in the next days!

Pytheas, Mar 14, 2010
  6. Twan013

Ozma

Did you guys manage to have the webcam working on you 751h on Jolicloud? I haven't, yet! :O

Ozma, Jan 17, 2011
  7. Twan013

Indie

Which Jolicloud version are you using?

Indie, Jan 23, 2011
Ask a Question