good antivirus/internet security for AA1?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JoeyStorm, Oct 2, 2008.

1. JoeyStorm

JoeyStorm

Whats a good antivirus/internet security program for AA1?

Something preferably that doesn't eat up ram like that pathetic MacAfee that came with the netbook.

Right now I'm using Avira as a free one.

JoeyStorm, Oct 2, 2008
  2. JoeyStorm

chuckcalo

Honestly I don't have any antivirus software on my pc, they sincerily worsen your laptop status. That's just me tho, I don't download music here just tv shows and most of them I watch em online. I've never used antivirus before but I know for sure that the CA Antivirus Package is really good.

chuckcalo, Oct 3, 2008
  3. JoeyStorm

bugbot42

I have AVG free Anti-virus running with Zonealarm Firewall also running. They've been working perfectly and have not slowed down my computer at all. I'd recommend them easily. You can get them from www.downloads.com via CNET.com.

bugbot42, Oct 3, 2008
  4. JoeyStorm

Tamrac

On the FREE side, the good ones are AVIRA, AVG, AVAST.....

AVIRA - small memory footprint, fast, best detection rate among the FREE AV... but has popup on updates(not a big issue)

AVG - version 8 has "link scan" w/c eats alot of memory. Do not include link scan on the setup, and you're ok. Boot-up time also increases.

AVAST - many say it's lite on resources. But I havent tested this lately. Last time I did use AVAST, I find it slow.

On non-free side....

NOD32 - version 2.7 is extremely fast and efficient. Although there's a version 3 already. Version 2.7 is still available on their site. And both use the same definition files. So no issue on the detection rates. NOD32 is arguably the best AV money can buy.

Tamrac, Oct 3, 2008
  5. JoeyStorm

andy100

Snap! I've used this combo for about 5 years on various machines with no problems whatsoever.

Combine with SpyBot S&D, Ad-aware, HijackThis (novices beware though!) and recently CCleaner and nott only do I feel my computer's protected, but also probably as clean as I can keep it!

Andy

andy100, Oct 3, 2008
  6. JoeyStorm

JoeyStorm

does anyone know if the TemDono fix for ESET Smart Security still works? the one that makes it expire in 2050?

JoeyStorm, Oct 3, 2008
  7. JoeyStorm

adonian

I have used AVG free for years. As for firewall, I just use windows defender, I don't do anything illegal anymore :roll: so it works fine for me.

adonian, Oct 4, 2008
  8. JoeyStorm

Tamrac

Windows Defender is MS version of antimalware,spyware application... it's not a firewall. The built firewall is Windows Firewall. Disable defender, it's useless.

Tamrac, Oct 4, 2008
  9. JoeyStorm

scourdx

I use Comodo Firewall pro for Firewall and Avast for Anti-virus. Both program works great.

scourdx, Oct 4, 2008
  10. JoeyStorm

jnj333

I am using avg and it is working perfectly on my aspire one.

jnj333, Oct 4, 2008
  11. JoeyStorm

JoeyStorm

alright guys thanks for the input, Im gonna try AVG and zone alarm :D

JoeyStorm, Oct 7, 2008
  12. JoeyStorm

Forone

There's a tradeoff of functionality and performance - it takes a little research to compare what you're doing to the multi-functions offered by the security suites. On this machine I'm not running MS Outlook but using webmail, and am willing to rely on Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, so I've opted for Avira AntiVir to minimize resources and maximize real time anti-virus protection. I've disabled the irritating nag screen (the only downside to it) using this brilliant little workaround:

http://www.tipsfor.us/2007/08/15/make-a ... re-usable/

Forone, Nov 2, 2008
  13. JoeyStorm

singraham

I installed avast! and it works well...no noticeable slow down anywhere I can see. Much faster than McAfee on email. Played a full movie on iTunes last night and it played fine, even with protection enabled.

singraham, Nov 2, 2008
  14. JoeyStorm

simbeb

I have replaced AVG/ZoneAlarm with the 2 excellent BitDefender v10 antivirus and kerio Personal firewall. They're doing as great a job with a much smaller footprint: the firewall has finished switching itself on before your desktop has even appeared. My booting time has improved by 12 seconds...

simbeb, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question