Good File Shredding Program (Freeware?)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LTCSZ, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LTCSZ

LTCSZ

Could someone recommend a good file shredding program? I am particularly looking for one that will clean the "free space" on a HDD as well as completely delete files...Freeware would be nice...I have searched and there are many that claim to do such things, but I wanted some friendly advice! Thanks,

Steve

LTCSZ, Mar 6, 2009
  2. LTCSZ

MrNiceguy

Check out Eraser, available here: http://www.heidi.ie/node/6 Looks like it has a option to wipe free space, (as long as you're not running Vista or Windows 7), as well as secure deletion of files and secure deletion of Recycle Bin contents.

Disclaimer: I found this recommendation on one of the "Best freeware" sites I bookmarked, but I haven't tried the program myself. It is a GPL-licensed program, meaning that anyone can examine the source code. In my mind, this is always a big plus for any type of security software, as it means it's much less likely to have any hidden "backdoors".

By the way, Hi from a fellow Kansan.

MrNiceguy, May 4, 2009
  3. LTCSZ

Forone

I've been using Eraser for years, and occasionally wipe free space on several XP systems (this takes a while, depending on drive.) It's great.

Forone, May 4, 2009
Ask a Question