Got bluetooth/Wi-Fi card working in 751H

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AdamElphick, Oct 11, 2009.

1. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

I bought my 751 knowing it was the model with no bluetooth (£249 from Comet - Bargain!).

Anyway coming from an eeePC100H I soon missed the bluetooth and then realised that way back in eth days when I had an eeePC900 I had talked to a Hong Kong manufacturer about providing a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card for it, even to the point of getting two samples sent to me..... half an hour searching and I had them in my hands again from the loft!

I popped the crappy half height Wi-Fi card out of the 751 and then popped the full height BT/Wi-Fi one in at an angle, popped the thing the right way up again and switched on... nothing.. bugger.. then realised I had driver disc for XP only! Went to the manufacturer website and managed to get a beta Windows7 driver pack! Woohoo.... IT WORKS!!

Anyway now I have bluetooth AND Wi-Fi BUT...... the card don't fit properly because of the stupid post that has no screw hole.. it has a little bobble on it instead. Now I'm not sure if I should try and remove the post or go back to no BT!!? What shod I do? Warranty will definitely be void of I do it!

AdamElphick, Oct 11, 2009
  2. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

Well despite the fact that no one whatsoever commented I decided to go ahead and do it...

Opened the 751 up (was surprised there are absolutely no warranty stickers over screws!) and then located the annoying alloy peg, which was actually attached to a plate under the touch pad. Fortunately the plate had 3 screws which allowed me to remove it:

[​IMG]

I have circled the offending peg!

Next I gently filed down the peg to just below the thicker part of its shaft (as there are a few tiny motherboard fuses nearby on the BT/Wi-Fi card so I wanted extra leeway), and then put a blob of nail polish on its tip to stop any electrical contact (which I also covered with a circle of electrical tape for good measure!)

[​IMG]

I also made a tiny adjustment to the edge of the BT/Wi-Fi card with a file as it touched the screw at the top in the middle of the PCI-e area.

Popped everything back together, switched on and woohoo!!! Internal BT on the cheaper model!

AdamElphick, Oct 12, 2009
  3. AdamElphick

tabasb01

Nice work and I want do the same with mine. Can you help me find how to open the case and get under the keyboard?

Thanks

tabasb01, Oct 26, 2009
  4. AdamElphick

Bramster

What kind of card is it ? Do you have a link ?

How about drilling a hole in the card ?

Bramster, Oct 26, 2009
  5. AdamElphick

tabasb01

try a search on ebay for Mini PCI-E Wireless Network Card+Bluetooth for ACER

tabasb01, Oct 26, 2009
  6. AdamElphick

satansoft

I was thinking of replacing the standard wireless card with an 802.11n, they are only about 12 quid on ebay. . . has anyone done this?

satansoft, Oct 26, 2009
  7. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

Unfortunately there are mini surface mounted components at that point - was my first idea!

AdamElphick, Oct 26, 2009
  8. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

The keyboard pops off when the small clips at the top edge of it are released from the case.....

AdamElphick, Oct 26, 2009
  9. AdamElphick

tabasb01

Thanks for the info; I was able to do that, but having problems getting to the point you did in your pics.

tabasb01, Oct 27, 2009
  10. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

you have to remove the under keyboard screws and also ones on the bottom of the machine too. I used this guide to help:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...assemblaggio.html&lp=it_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

AdamElphick, Oct 28, 2009
  11. AdamElphick

tabasb01

Hi
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I received my mini bluetooth/wifi card; installed it and working great!!

tabasb01, Oct 28, 2009
  12. AdamElphick

Bramster

Which card did you get ?

Bramster, Oct 29, 2009
  13. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

Are you using the 3DSP and Bluesoleil software that comes with the card OK? Remember the old Wi-Fi toggle switch doesn't work any more so to switch it off use the bluetooth icon and also the 3DSP icon.

AdamElphick, Oct 29, 2009
  14. AdamElphick

AdamElphick

Did anyone else do this mod?

AdamElphick, Jan 28, 2010
  15. AdamElphick

brandl

i did cut that part too. but my way was much more ignorant, i just cut off the hole part that hold that pin with cisours.
    heheheh

brandl, Mar 20, 2010
Ask a Question