gps

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by boltmann, Aug 21, 2008.

1. boltmann

boltmann

Hello all;

I would like to use gpsdrive on the Aspire one in its native Limpus Linux, but cannot find the proper device file for the NEMA compatible Microsoft gps reciever I have that came with Streets and Trips. On the Asus Eee-pc this is /dev/ttyUSB0 and in Streets and Trips in Windows XP on the A1 it is com3. Does anyone know the Limpus device file? I have tried /dev/ttys1, /dev/ttys2, /dev/ttys3, /dev/ttys4, etc on through /dev/ttysf to no avail, as well as /dev/usb0, /dev/usb1, /dev/usb2, /dev/usb3 and /dev/usb4 all of which exist in Limpus. None of them are right. It should work as the daemon gpsd is built into the kernel. Help would be appreciated.

Brian

boltmann, Aug 21, 2008
  2. boltmann

callmeishmael

If you have it working on the Eee, i suggest you to compare the output of "dmesg" command just after you plug the device.
    First do it in the Asus, then in the Acer. It should show wheter the hw is properly recognized or not.
    My feeling is that it shoul be /dev/ttyUSB0 in the Acer as well, but only if the default kernel has the required module.
    the lsmod command will show the loaded modules. Again, plug the device in the EEE, and do an lsmod. Compare it with the Acer lsmod output and try to guess from the modulename which is the module loaded in EEE that is missing in Acer.
    Then, pls have look in the howto posted by AmmoQ, which explains how to get and compile a missing module. If you have a faster Linux PC working it will be easier than compiling into the Acer.

Hope that helps.

callmeishmael, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question