Gramps again

Discussion in 'Linux' started by man222, Oct 1, 2009.

1. man222

man222

There have been several threads about the problem with installing Gramps from the Fedora repository via Add/remove software, which apparently installs OK but then will not run, giving a segmentation fault. This is the same using yum directly.

Nobody has explained what the problem is and how it can be solved - the thread that claims to solve it just says get a different version from the Fedora development repository, which now appears to be unavailable on any mirror site.

So is the problem on my machine, in which case what do I need to do, or is it a problem with the downloaded software, in which case shouldn't Fedora do something about it?

The odd thing is I had Gramps running earlier this year without any problem, and this has only occurred since I re-installed a clean Linpus system with all updates.

Mike

man222, Oct 1, 2009
  2. man222

qlue

As far as I know, Linpus uses the obsolete Fedora 8 core. So if it's a problem in the Fedora 8 core, it will never be fixed unless either Linpus or Acer fix it themselves. (highly unlikely)

qlue, Oct 2, 2009
  3. man222

man222

Since I didn't get any help from the experts in this forum I had to try to do something about it myself, and found that the solution given on the following page worked for me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-544557.html

Hope it might be of some help to others who had a similar problem.

Mike

man222, Oct 10, 2009
Ask a Question