Gramps

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bobkat205, Feb 16, 2009.

1. bobkat205

bobkat205

I have downloaded GRAMPS many times and I can not get it to open. If I click on it from the office desktop it acts like it is going to start and then quits and if I try fom terminal it says something about unfragmented. I also tried to download a program called (I think) lifeline but I couldn't install it. All of these things are so much more difficult with linpus.

I have been working with Microsoft products since I started with MSDOS in 1983

bobkat205, Feb 16, 2009
  2. bobkat205

amturnip

Good idea to try from the terminal. Paste the error message here and we'll have a look.

amturnip, Feb 16, 2009
  3. bobkat205

bobkat205

The error message is "fragmentation fault" I downloaded Gramps 3.0.4.targz and got he same error message

bobkat205, Feb 16, 2009
  4. bobkat205

bobkat205

I meant segmentation fault. I don't know what either one mean.

bobkat205, Feb 17, 2009
  5. bobkat205

Grim Squeaker

What exactly did you do after downloading it and where did you get the files ? Both the Fc8 rpm and the tar.gz file from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=109309 are not programs - they are an installer (somewhat like .msi on windows) and an archive (like .zip, .arj and so on on windows and dos since you used them).

A segmentation fault is a programming error. In windows this results in a blue screen of death.

Grim Squeaker, Feb 17, 2009
  6. bobkat205

bobkat205

I got gramps from the add and remove software depository. It showed up in the office part of the "desktop" I clicked on that and it looked like it was going to start and then it stopped. Later I tried it on terminal snd that is when it said segmentation fault.

Isn't the gramps 3.0.4 a program?

bobkat205, Feb 18, 2009
  7. bobkat205

Grim Squeaker

It seems something went wrong while installing then - I just installed the version from the repos (add/remove software, like you did) and it worked fine...
    You can reinstall from the terminal with:
    Code:
    sudo yum  remove gramps
    sudo yum install gramps
    However, the version in the repositories is quite old - 2.2 instead of the 3.4 I mentioned in the link...

Grim Squeaker, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question