GRUB issues and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by joeblurton, Jan 27, 2009.

1. joeblurton

joeblurton

Right, my first real post on here. I'm just sorry it's to ask for help!

I, like many of you, will have been tempted by the shiny-looking new Windows 7 Beta. I managed to install this on the AAO without a glitch, and it ran like a dream. The only problem, naturally, was that I lost my "native" Ubuntu installation's bootloader. No problem, I thought, as I could use Super Grub Disk to get it back. I used an external DVD drive to load both the Win 7 installation and SGD, but SGD couldn't find the requisite Ubuntu loader. Well, to cut a long story short I managed to wipe my MBR and have rescued Ubuntu with a Live USB (my external DVD drive seems to have destroyed itself somewhere along the way...)

Unfortunately, GRUB doesn't recognise the new Win 7 installation, mounted on dev3. The whole Win 7 system worked perfectly, and dev3 still has a boot flag on it (visible in GParted)... what can you guys suggest to get GRUB to see Win 7? Obviously, now that I'm without a DVD drive this makes things harder, although I see people have got around this. Still... I do have a functioning Win 7 system on here somewhere, if only I could get GRUB to see it. I've tried
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    but this only shows my Linux kernels (Ubuntu, eeeXubuntu and Mandriva 2009).

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe.

joeblurton, Jan 27, 2009
  2. joeblurton

joeblurton

Just a quick update: I've managed to make Win 7 bootable by manually editing GRUB to start the Windows chainloader at hd0,2, but I can't get further than Win 7 Startup Repair, which doesn't fix anything or get anywhere. Any ideas there?

joeblurton, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question