Hacks and Triple-Boot

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by nightalon, Apr 10, 2009.

1. nightalon

nightalon

Firt of all, I'd like to recommend to the moderators that the different models now be listed as subcategories in this forum...I think that would be helpful for everyone.

(I guess I shouldn't make constructive criticism in my first post!)

Why I Chose the AOD150:
    I chose the AOD150 because it has two usable MiniPCI-E slots, supports 2 GB RAM, a 10" screen, and uses a 2.5" SATA drive.

The HP Mini 1000 uses PATA drives that are inevitably slower than the 7200 RPM 320 GB drive I plan to install. The Dell Mini 10 can be configured with only 1 GB RAM. All other products on the market (except for the OCZ Neutrino, which isn't out yet) seem to have removed the second connector for MiniPCI-E, and those traces are way too small for me to solder.

Planned hacks:
    I think we can all safely agree that the NC10 and the 1000HE have the best keyboards on the market. I would have chosen one of those if the second internal MiniPCI-E slot had been available. Hence, I fully aim to make my AOD150 awesome to compensate for its less-than-ideal keyboard.

Additionally, I think it's really cool that the netbook market is so consistent between models: it allows for new levels of hacking and customization.

I want to interject here to note that one AOD150 did arrive, but I couldn't get one of the case screws out, and thus sent it back to Amazon for an exchange. I guess that's not so nice, but Amazon and Acer are probably the most well-off e-tailer and netbook manufacturer respectively.

Here's the list:
    Aver 312 TV Tuner for MiniPCI-E slot (Purchased; USB compatibility unknown {$60 on eBay})
    AR5008 (Purchased, 3 ant., abgn {$30 on eBay}) [I originally bought a half-height AR5009 because I misjudged the card length from disassembly photos on an Italian site]
    2 GB RAM ($16 on NewEgg)
    320 GB HD ($80 on NewEgg)
    Touchscreen ($100 but compatibility unknown; hub included, to be used for TV Tuner simultaneous with WWAN)
    Option GTM378 HDSPA GPS, voice, 2 ant. (eBay, $62)

Notes:
    There obviously aren't enough MiniPCI-E slots to accommodate 3 cards. Thus, I bought a Sprint CDMA USB device off of eBay for $30 to disassemble and pop the TV tuner in. Once I cut off extra PCB and solder out the USB connector, and connect it to an internal USB hub, things should work nicely. Otherwise I'll have to switch off between WWAN and TV tuner!

I've also ordered a SIM card slot to solder in. I've posted the details on Pocketables forum; I'll post back here once I make some headway. That way I can use the Option HSDPA unit, which is $62. A HSDPA unit without voice and GPS but with a built-in SIM card slot costs $145 on mobilx.hu. I'd rather avoid that scenario, and like the idea of being able to pop a SIM card in and out through the battery hatch.

I also want to note that I'll be installing as many antennae in the screen as necessary. I've done this before on other laptops, so I'm not too intimidated. I just hope those rubber screw-covers go back on once they've come off!

Here's the vaporware list:
    Bluetooth (availability/details unknown)
    LCD at ~1366x768 (availability/details unknown)
    1.3 MP webcam (availability/details unknown)

I have no idea if these upgrades will be possible. I imagine the Bluetooth and webcam are or will be available as a replacement parts for this or another model, and there should be a higher-res LCD to replace the 1024x600 panels on the market right now. The currently available 1366x768 are of a different aspect ratio, that of a 1024x576 pixel screen, so I don't know if I'll have success on that front. Of course cable type and placement will be another obstacle. I do think the onboard GMA950 can support different resolution panels, and I imagine that the signal and inverter cables are very likely industry-standard commodities, given the low cost of netbooks. I could be wrong, though.

Triple-Boot:
    I already do this on a Toshiba Tecra M7 convertible tablet with a 320GB HD, so I see no reason not to do it on my netbook. I hear the Atheros ethernet is tricky to get working, but I think it's also on the Asus 1000HE, so lots of people should be working on it. The WIFI card I'll be upgrading to supports OS X out of the box. Linux reliability is sometimes iffy, but it's the Ath9k driver, which is under development, so that should be fine in the long run. I'll be using Ubuntu 9.04, which I hear works with the onboard audio without any tinkering. I can't confirm Ubuntu standby, hibernate, and resume. Ditto for MacOS. I know that the 9" AA1 had ALC268 audio, which people ultimately got working. I hope the same holds true for whatever audio codec the new model has.

I plan to install Vista on the first partition, Ubuntu on the second, MacOS on the third, and leave a fourth partition for storage. That's how I have my convertible tablet set up, and I love it. I think I'll use the Vista bootloader as I currently do, and probably EFI V9 for the Mac partition. Chameleon 2.0 RC looks cool, but I don't need the GUI since I do my OS selection from the Vista bootloader. Of course I plan to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 and MacOS Leopard 10.5 to Snow Leopard 10.6 upon availability.

nightalon, Apr 10, 2009
  2. nightalon

kara

Wow your hack list is awesome. Can you keep us posted with the results of how everything goes? I'm particularly interested in the touch screen, GPS, and bluetooth mods but hope to hear how everything runs, compatibility, etc. Love the idea of the triple boot. At the moment all I've done is max out the RAM and dual boot XP and Windows 7 & but obviously would like to do more.

kara, Apr 11, 2009
  3. nightalon

adrianaitken

2 mini PCIe slots but 1 is usable !!! I tried last night to put the Wifi card in the internal one but Windows didn't see it. I think jumpering is needed to power it up.
    For the Option GTM378 modem - GPS and voice are optional extras, normally you need extra software to enable them. Does the eBay seller actually offer these (could be hard to get by themselves)?
    I swapped the HD for a 64Gb SSD since robustness is more useful to me than storage (I have a NAS at home so just offload stuff onto that).
    Touchscreen - nice to have if anyone makes them yet. I expect eBay sellers to start selling them in 2-3 months once the people who makes the 8.9 inch ones ramp up production.
    I use the Intel 5300 for 'N' wifi. No problems installing that through the trapdoor on the bottom.

adrianaitken, Apr 11, 2009
  4. nightalon

nightalon

I think one of two options is necessary in order to get the second slot usable:

1. Shorting an onboard jumper with a drop of solder

2. Filing down the wireless button so that it slides in the opposite direction as well (I think this has more to do with taping over one of the pins on the MiniPCI card as jkkmobile did with the M912. read about tnkgrl's hack to learn more. also, there's a guy from miami who also has a guide for the 9" model, but I think the SIM card slot he's using is less than ideal...)

By the way, the tri-boot is up and running. I posted a how-to walkthrough here and on Hackint0sh.

nightalon, Apr 24, 2009
  5. nightalon

mordeith

any updates on getting the second mini pci working....or finding a bt/??? minipci card that can work there?

mordeith, Apr 28, 2009
  6. nightalon

Fresh50

Bueller...

Fresh50, Jul 27, 2009
  7. nightalon

radioman193

radioman193, Jul 27, 2009
Ask a Question