Hard Disk wear - APM

Discussion in 'Linux' started by snofire, Oct 30, 2008.

1. snofire

snofire

Hey all,

I'm about a day away from getting my aspire one (the model with a 160 GB HDD) and I was thinking of throwing Ubuntu 8.10 on it. My only concern is that the Hard Drive Parking Bug of Doom (tm) will rear its ugly head and shorten my disk's lifetime. I had to apply the ugly fix to my old laptop, and didn't have the highest confidence in it. So here are my questions:

1. Does the parking bug affect the aspire one (does the hdd use APM?)
    2. If so, has anyone had success fixing it?

If this ends up being too much of a hassle, I'll just keep XP installed on it.

snofire, Oct 30, 2008
  2. snofire

snofire

This is a bump.

snofire, Nov 3, 2008
  3. snofire

Tamrac

parking bug? can you explain further? I have not heard of this one.... and I'm a pretty experienced PC user.

Tamrac, Nov 3, 2008
  4. snofire

annafil

Geez I've never heard of this either and I've been using Ubuntu for years and years.

Did a quick google to find out what it was, and that does explain a few things about my Gutsy box. Unfortunately the fix I found was in German. What sort of fix did you apply?

annafil, Nov 3, 2008
  5. snofire

dattaway

Never heard of it. The ide-smart or smartmon tools will tell you everything there is to know about your hard drive's health.

dattaway, Nov 3, 2008
  6. snofire

annafil

Just plugged in a 160gb hard drive (only usb power) - I listened for about a minute and it sounds fine. That said, I didn't have any success in changing the APM setting (found the fix) so maybe it doesn't apply to this particular drive.

I suppose if you really want you can turn off APM in services, and stick to ACPI? or is this a different APM?

annafil, Nov 3, 2008
  7. snofire

vl2006

If im correct my hardrive was parking itself way to often you can hear the clicking noise, I also experienced this on Osx. I am not using the hardrive that came with the One since i bought the 8gb sdd version then put a 60 gig hdd(1.8). To get rid of the clicking noise i followed this guide. I hope it helps you, as i no longer hear the clicking noise. http://eric.biven.us/2008/10/09/my-...ain-so-im-stopping-it-cold-when-ubuntu-boots/

vl2006, Nov 3, 2008
  8. snofire

Tamrac

Ah ok. So that explains it. I have literally dozens of HD's right now, and I don't notice any excessive clicks on any of them. Can someone verify if the 120gb and 160gb HD on the AAO has this problem? As I have not heard of any complaints about this on the stock HDs of the AAO.

Tamrac, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question