Hard freeze after shutting lid?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bloodstar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Bloodstar

Bloodstar

It seems that when I shut the lid to my Aspire One, Ubuntu seems to lock up after an hour and a half. I have it set to only blank the screen when shut and plugged in. Caps Lock LED is not blinking, nor are any other LEDs.

I'm running 9.10 desktop (can't stand the netbook interface) on a 10.1 inch model with 2GB of RAM. Any ideas as to why this crash might be happening...?

Bloodstar, Dec 14, 2009
  2. Bloodstar

^Andy^

You have probably found an answer by now but just in case..

Do you by any chance have an SD card installed? I ask because Ubuntu currently has a known bug in that unless you unmount or remove your SD card on the Aspire One before entering hibernate or sleep it will cause a lock up. With no SD card inserted or if you manually unmount the drive hibernate and sleep will both work correctly.

^Andy^, Jan 25, 2010
  3. Bloodstar

libssd

I can't comment from experience with 9.10, but with 9.04, there still seems to be some process running, which eventually uses up all available memory. In my case, it hasn't actually frozen, but it may as well as have done so, as paging slows things down to the point where minutes are required for a response. My solution is ALWAYS to use Fn-F4 to suspend before shutting the lid. 100% success with this approach.

libssd, Feb 1, 2010
  4. Bloodstar

Bloodstar

Aha, thanks for the suggestions.

The issue has since cleared itself up (or rather, not hit me on this install of Ubuntu) since then, though. Everything works with suspending.

I have another problem, but I'll post a new thread about that.

Bloodstar, Feb 1, 2010
Ask a Question