Hauppauge WinTV Nova usb stick (Digital TV) (Linpus Linux)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sideways, Aug 24, 2008.

1. sideways

m4r35n357

Actually not sloppiness I think, if you untar the kernel into /usr/src, the default name slips right in there ;) The lw is an extra label that identifies the installed kernel, so no real need to rename anything, just roll with it.

Also, as a little bonus, /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9 can be a symbolic link to the real source in a user directory (better still, a USB key) so most of the build commands don't even need a sudo, only the final module install.

HTH

m4r35n357, Oct 5, 2008
  2. sideways

Guest Guest

When I follow the instructions in the first post i get missing dependency errors. Can anyone help please?
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo rpm -Uhv [url]http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm[/url]
    Retrieving [url]http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm[/url]
    warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.aK7lhz: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID a109b1ec
    Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
       1:livna-release          ########################################### [100%]
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum install xine-lib-extras* kaffeine
    livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00     
    primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 488 kB    00:01     
    fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00     
    updates                   100% |=========================| 2.6 kB    00:00     
    freshrpms                 100% |=========================| 2.4 kB    00:00     
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package xine-lib-extras-nonfree.i386 0:1.1.15-1.lvn8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libavutil.so.49 for package: xine-lib-extras-nonfree
    --> Processing Dependency: libpostproc.so.51 for package: xine-lib-extras-nonfree
    --> Processing Dependency: libavcodec.so.51 for package: xine-lib-extras-nonfree
    --> Processing Dependency: libxine.so.1 for package: xine-lib-extras-nonfree
    --> Processing Dependency: xine-lib(plugin-abi) = 1.24 for package: xine-lib-extras-nonfree
    ---> Package kaffeine.i386 0:0.8.5-5.fc8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libkaffeineaudioencoder.so.0 for package: kaffeine
    --> Processing Dependency: libkaffeinedvbplugin.so.0 for package: kaffeine
    ---> Package xine-lib-extras.i386 0:1.1.8-4.fc8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libpulse.so.0 for package: xine-lib-extras
    --> Processing Dependency: xine-lib(plugin-abi) = 1.24 for package: xine-lib-extras-nonfree
    ---> Package ffmpeg.i386 0:0.4.9-0.10.20080214.fc8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libImlib2.so.1 for package: ffmpeg
    ---> Package kaffeine-libs.i386 0:0.8.5-5.fc8 set to be updated
    ---> Package pulseaudio-libs.i386 0:0.9.7-0.17.svn20071017.fc8 set to be updated
    ---> Package xine-lib.i386 0:1.1.8-4.fc8 set to be updated
    ---> Package ffmpeg-libs.i386 0:0.4.9-0.42.20071121.lvn8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libx264.so.56 for package: ffmpeg-libs
    --> Processing Dependency: faad2 = 1:2.0 for package: ffmpeg-libs
    ---> Package faad2.i386 1:2.0-21.20050131.lvn8 set to be updated
    ---> Package ffmpeg-libs.i386 0:0.4.9-0.42.20071121.lvn8 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libx264.so.56 for package: ffmpeg-libs
    ---> Package imlib2.i386 0:1.4.0-3.fc8 set to be updated
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: libx264.so.56 is needed by package ffmpeg-libs
    Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib(plugin-abi) = 1.24 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree

Guest, Oct 19, 2008
  3. sideways

sideways

try this

Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release-8

sideways, Oct 19, 2008
  4. sideways

Guest Guest

Thanks. Now I don't see the xine error but I still get
    Code:
    Error: Missing Dependency: libx264.so.56 is needed by package ffmpeg-libs

Guest, Oct 19, 2008
  5. sideways

sideways

You shouldn't be getting these errors, can you post the output of
    Code:
    yum repolist
    To fix the libx264 error you can do 'yum install x264', but yum should do that automatically. Have you changed a lot of stuff on the original system?

also try 'yum clean all', and rerunning yum. I have installed kaffeine on a brand new AAO only two days ago and had no problems.

sideways, Oct 19, 2008
  6. sideways

Guest Guest

I restored my system to the oldest backup I had and then I had no problems so it must have been a change that I made to the system.
    Thanks very much for the help.

Guest, Oct 19, 2008
  7. sideways

disneysw

I also get the "mt2060 I2C read failed" in my dmesg log, and while kaffeine shows the tuner and allows me to scan for stations none are found. I've tried a number of different firmware/module revisions but have not been able to get rid of the above message which I believe is the source of my problem. A Google search shows this to be a fairly common problem, but I none of the threads I have read end with a solution, though some imply a newer kernel may be the solution. Has anyone solve this?

As a side note I have a recent Gentoo installation installed on a different partition and the tuner works fine with it.

disneysw, Dec 10, 2008
  8. sideways

tetrode27

Re: Hauppauge WinTV and stopping webcam working

Hi,

I successfully installed my WinTV usb stick and it works really well.

However, I found that updating the kernel seems to have stopped my webcam from working. I know the hardware works OK as everything is fine when I re-image the AAO back to the Acer Linpus build.

I'm assuming that there's some sort of driver problem...has anyone else had this problem and can they offer any advice?

The WinTV is great, but I need to webcam for when I'm away from home, so I may have to re-do my installation and drop the WinTV.

Must be a way to get this to work, but I'm pretty new to in-depth Linux stuff.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ken...

tetrode27, Jan 16, 2009
  9. sideways

dr_skids

I wonder if anyone solved this as I just noticed my webcam no longer works?
    I have spent a couple of weeks investigating how to get the Hauppage USB stick (model 70019 I believe).
    I got it to work on my deskside SuSE 10.3 system and that gave me confidence that I could do it on the
    AAO. However, the AAO instance gives the error of /home/user/.kaxtv.ts problem - so no pictures.
    Then I found the USB camera is not working.

Oh Dear, it could have happened any time as it worked okay just after installing Skype (from Acer) but then
    when I first tried the dvb stick I got the webcam images (!) and webcam still worked...

...perhaps I should go back to square one.

Perhaps it is to do with /dev/video and /dev/dvb getting mixed up.

Dr. Skids.

dr_skids, Jan 18, 2009
  10. sideways

3ld468

Firstly, loads of thanks to sideways and Joans for their hard work.
    Through their efforts I now have a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-HD Stick up and running though I did manage to fall into all the traps including breaking the sound which eventually lead to a system recovery - [Silver-lining time] it did mean that I got out of my chair and bought a pen drive of sufficient capacity to make a back-up according to Macles - and have a couple of points to make.
    First off, rpm.livna.org seems to have disappeared without trace. I dowloaded Kaffeine through the Linpus add/remove programs app but this does not include the xine-lib-extras* library so Kaffeine threw an error when trying to render a TV show. Again through Macles I have discovered that livna has merged with rpmfusion and it seems that livna has been discontinued. So, to get things working with the stock Kaffeine install I did this:-
    Code:
     sudo rpm -Uvh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    sudo yum install xine-lib-extras*
    I have not discovered whether or not Kaffeine exists on rpmfusion so merely swapping the first line in the above code block with that in the OP might not work.
    Secondly, to clarify what m4r35n357 said, I found that you do not need to add "lw" to the name in the src folder. If you do not, "make" compiles the source without changing anything. However, you must do this:-
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9 /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/build
    before building v4l.
    Thirdly, like many the webcam has broken but as I have successfully survived over 50 years without one, am I bothereed? Maybe, if I really do have nothing better to do, I might do something about it. I noticed during the v4l build several files including the word "webcam" in them so there may be the place to look.
    Finally, in my brief experience so far, I have noticed stuttering in the picture and, particularly, sound but this may be due to signal strength factors and it is probably time I stopped putting off that RAM upgrade.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that the NOVA-T-HD does require the 1.20 version of the firmware and that it be named as such.
    Once again, thanks for this thread.
    UPDATE: The stuttering was indeed down to a badly positioned aerial leading to poor reception. With a clear signal it works very well.

Mike

3ld468, Feb 19, 2009
  11. sideways

ashpire

I have the same problem with the webcam not working, the system just hangs if I try to use it. Here I asked about it but nobody seems to know how to fix it :( viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9060

ashpire, Feb 24, 2009
Ask a Question