HDMI on AO522

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by matts1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. matts1

matts1

Question.. I tried to use HDMI as something different to VGA to extend my desktop. Well it worked fine when it was set to mirror the desktop but when I changed it to extend the desktop the TV lost the signal and the screen on the AO just goes black and requires a reboot to work again after having unplugged the HDMI cable. If you reboot with the HDMI cable in, it seems like it will work by showing the BIOS screen, the boot screen, but right before it gets ready to show the login both screens go black and stay there.

I've tried Catalyst 11.2 and 11.3, and the only version that seems to work correct is 10.10, which is the version that Acer supplies. I didn't try 11.1, but if someone wants to try by all means let me know if it works, it probably won't though.

Either AMD or Acer needs to get on the ball and fix it so I can keep it up to date..

matts1, Apr 4, 2011
  2. matts1

Swarvey Moderator

I've had similar problems, but not with a computer. My pay tv box and wireless media center do the same thing when connected via HDMI. They work fine, but if you turn them off or put them into a standby mode the TV loses signal and fails to reaquire it. The only solution was to disconnect power from the devices and reconnect. My thought was that the my plasma TV was just to cheap and didn't fully support all the functions of HDMI, more specifically I believed it to be the handshake signal. My old LG DVD-RW (standalone) worked fine, the handshake signal worked wel and I never had a problem with it. So out of curiosity, is your TV a good brand name? or a cheaper one like Vivo?

Swarvey, Apr 4, 2011
  3. matts1

matts1

Well before I found that it finally did work but needed an older version of Catalyst, I was thinking that it was the cable that was the problem. Since one of the troubleshooting steps is to make sure you have the latest version HDMI cable. My cable is HDMI 1.3a and apparently the latest version is 1.3c.

And my TV is a 20' Vizio. So its a well known brand so I wasnt really thinking to blame the TV.

matts1, Apr 5, 2011
  4. matts1

Swarvey Moderator

Yeah I was moreso just curious about the TV. I've rarely if ever had any success with mine fully cooperating with HDMI devices.

Swarvey, Apr 6, 2011
Ask a Question