Heat from my Acer

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by brad ford, Mar 5, 2009.

1. brad ford

2manydjs

Maybe she hasn't put her AAO under any stress, then the CPU should be fine. The software fan controls just turns the fan off as well..

@Alice: many people have problems with their fan on the 8,9" model. I'm not sure how noisy the fan is on the 10".. You could either visit your reseller preventive or just put your processor under stress (watch some HD trailers on quicktime.com) and listen to the fan. If you keep the left air-vent next to your ear you should be able to hear it. If it doesn't turn because of a defect, you might fry your processor..

2manydjs, Mar 10, 2009
  2. brad ford

2manydjs

Thanks. Will a thin layer actually touch the "heat sink" properly? I expect the thermal pad is a lot thicker.

2manydjs, Mar 10, 2009
  3. brad ford

GvidoR

I have done it! A thin layer on any cooler/heatsink is enough!

GvidoR, Mar 10, 2009
  4. brad ford

Eosblue

Correct me if I'm wrong. When the Acer is plugged into the mains, the processor runs at full speed generating more heat. When on the battery, the processor "kicks" down to save battery life. I notice a big difference in loading internet pages when powered verses on the battery.

Eosblue, Mar 11, 2009
  5. brad ford

alicez

We are getting off the subject of this thread.

All I wanted to know is:

Does anyone who owns an Acer Aspire One 10.1" 1G ram;l 160 GB hard drive

ever hear the fan or feel the air going in or out of the vents.

That's all I am asking. If you have another question, please start a new thread.

Thank you.

Alice

alicez, Mar 11, 2009
  6. brad ford

Scissors

I do hear it on my 8.9" if that helps. But it'd better if an actual 10" owner would answer this.

BTW:
    I should have known better then to post that comment. If I were a moderator I would have split it.
    Sorry for that. I feel that offtopic posts occur quite a bit on these and many forums. I'll remember to stay on topic. and let's not discuss this. Just remember to stay on topic and put offtopic comments in PMs or start a new thread.

Scissors, Mar 11, 2009
  7. brad ford

dragion

Alice, which bios is your Aspire?
    Why do I ask, well mine came with bios 1.02 and it was silent all the time as far as I can remember.
    I upgraded my bios to 1.05 and now once in a while I can hear & feel the fan...not sure if this will be the same for you, but worth a try.
    This will at least answer your question regarding the fan on the 10.1 working.

dragion, Mar 11, 2009
  8. brad ford

alicez

How can I find which BIOS I have (remember, I know nothing about computers, etc.,)? (Add-on.... went to System Info and found = BIOS Version/Date - Acer V 1.00 1/13/2009. Is that it?

I read somewhere that Acer Aspire owners were complaining about 'noisy' fan, and that Acer issued 'new' BIOS to replace and that 'fixed' the 'problem.'

I just wanted to be sure (make sure) that the ventilation on this unit was working properly and that is why I asked the original question as to whether other owners of this unit couldn/could not hear/feel their fans/ventilation.

Thanks
    Alice

alicez, Mar 11, 2009
  9. brad ford

maxpower2003

I have the 8.9" version too and I can physically feel air blowing from the fan. I have also left my Acer on for 72 hour stretches and, even then, it never gets more than slightly warm. And that's not in Sleep Mode. It's in full working mode, downloading and processing info. Soooooo, I can only imagine your 10.1" version should work the same. Same specs, basically, except for a larger display. Could be your fan is defective.

maxpower2003, Mar 11, 2009
  10. brad ford

Topster

I have a 2 day old model exactly as yours. It is currently having the entire hard drive erased as out of the box, it didn't work right and ACER is sending me recovery disc as the system program was screwed up. Machine has been sitting turned on with AC power for about 6 hrs. I can feel a lot of heat on left side bottom air grid and also feel air coming out. Not a great whoosh, but definatly fan driven. Machine is very quiet even with the fan running for a long time. Center bottom of unit is very warm. would not want that on my legs for any period of time like a airline flight. Fan does work and blow air and is quiet.

Topster, Mar 12, 2009
  11. brad ford

alicez

Read this on the Amazon Acer page:

"I'm not sure if it has a fan because I haven't heard it kick in yet. It stays fairly cool except when charging."

I've had no success with Acer Tech help. It appears to be "out-sourced" because I could just about understand them and all the noise of people talking in the background.

I don't think I would have purchased this Acer it I knew then what I know now. Didn't include a Recovery disk for me either. They wanted to charge me to send me a Recovery disk until I began to get upset and finally they sent a Recover disk. But I wonder if it is the Recovery disk for this unit. Did your disk have any version number, etc. printed on it?

I noticed that there were quite a few programs not installed on the AAO 10.1" after the Tech support told me to run this or that program. I kept telling him it wasn't on the Acer and he said to get it from the Recovery disk. I told him there was no Recovery disk enclosed, and on and on. They do not seem to be up-to-date with all the Acer machines being sold.

Sorry I bought it. Keep in touch....
    Alice

alicez, Mar 12, 2009
  12. brad ford

ranjo

Where are the Acer eSettings ? Do you have to do that F2 when the machine first boots up.. the bios settings or is it in XP somewhere ? Thanks

ranjo, Mar 17, 2009
  13. brad ford

alicez

Do you have to do that F2 when the machine first boots up?

YES

alicez, Mar 17, 2009
  14. brad ford

ranjo

There is nothing about it on my BIOS at all. No ACER selection, no fan. I have an AOD150

ranjo, Mar 17, 2009
  15. brad ford

alicez

[/quote] There is nothing about it on my BIOS at all. No ACER selection, no fan. I have an AOD150[/quote]

That's why I have lost all 'faith' in the Acer e-mail tech support. They keep repeating the same (text book) thing over and over. And then they tell you telephone their tech support and tech support gives you the same answer.
    I told them I looked in the BIOS and there was nothing in there about turning fan ON or OFF.
    If I am not mistaken, I have the same unit as you. I have yet felt/heard the fan. The guy (telephone to India I believe) said "nothing to worry about." If it gets too hot, it will automatically turn off. He said it really needs to get 'hot' before fan turns on. I really don't think he knew all that much about the AAO.
    I've read stories that some folks say their unit's fans are too load; others say they don't hear or feel their fans.
    I've just given up trying to find out about the 'fan' that is installed on this unit.
    In case I didn't mention it - I have the Acer Aspire One with WinXP sp3; 1 GB ram and 160 GB hardrive.

Alice

alicez, Mar 17, 2009
  16. brad ford

jjj

I have yet felt/heard the fan. The guy (telephone to India I believe) said "nothing to worry about." If it gets too hot, it will automatically turn off. He said it really needs to get 'hot' before fan turns on. I really don't think he knew all that much about the AAO.
    I've read stories that some folks say their unit's fans are too load; others say they don't hear or feel their fans.
    I've just given up trying to find out about the 'fan' that is installed on this unit.
    Alice[/quote]

Most Netbooks will probably last for the 12 months even if the fan is broken, so telling you "it's nothing to worry about" is the likely to be cheapest option for ACER.
    Never mind the long term reliability.

jjj, Mar 17, 2009
  17. brad ford

alicez

I presume you feel/hear your fan?

alicez, Mar 17, 2009
  18. brad ford

Scissors

If this isn't resolved. I am a bit confused right now, but if you haven't confirmed if there is a fan or not, how about doing a teardown to see if it's there and power up the unit w/out the case to see if it spins. Just a thought.

Scissors, Mar 18, 2009
  19. brad ford

ranjo

I turned it on and started listening. Initially the only thing I hear is the hard drive chugging away. After awhile when the unit heats up I definitely hear a fan.
    It does not cause a tornado to come out of the unit but there is definitely heat moving out of the vents on the bottom left. So there is a fan that comes on, at least on my AOD150. Thanks.

ranjo, Mar 18, 2009
  20. brad ford

alicez

I've read somewhere, possibly here, that there are some small programs that can be loaded on the Acer Aspire One 10.1" (AOD150-1165) that will allow you to control some of the functions on the AAO, especially when the fan turns on and off, etc.
    Would anyone know if any of these programs might work on my netbook? I looked int he System Info and see: "= BIOS Version/Date - Acer V 1.00 1/13/2009."
    I don't know if that is the BIOS version on this AAO.

Can any help? Maybe someone has same unit as me and is already using one of these programs. If so, which one are you using and is it easy to use? Where did you download it from?

I found the following on the Internet and wonder if one or the other would work on my AAO?

a1ctl = http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/ (I think there might be 2 versions of this program.)
    Aspire One fan control utility = http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/10/aspir ... ol-utility

Thanks in advance.
    Alice

alicez, Mar 19, 2009
Ask a Question