helllp please !

Discussion in 'Linux' started by guyman, Apr 7, 2009.

1. guyman

guyman

just bought an acer aspire with linux linpus lite , turned it on , updated, connected to wifi , set up e-mail , now im stumped !!!!

Can it connect to wifi printer ?
    tried downloading simple games like solitaire from free linus sites. dont know what to do next ? how do i set them up to play ?
    cant i load windows games on here ?
    is linux internet and email safe ? or do i need to download a securtiy centre ?

help help help please !!!!
    Cheers

guyman, Apr 7, 2009
  2. guyman

AK963

-I don't have a Wifi printer so I'm completely unsure. I'm sure the procedure to pair the printer with linpus is similar to windows.

-As for Linux packages most are tarballs (.tar.bz2) packages, they just need to be extracted to somewhere like the home directory and executed using a script that should be included. some come in .deb packages which just need to be opened and installed, but I think that only works on Debian based distro's like (eg Ubuntu or Debian).

-Some windows games can be run with wine, but the AAO isn't really built for gaming (as it has an integrated graphics card), so you cant really run anything more advanced than halo via wine.

-Aslong as you don't run any malicious commands in the terminal by following some dodgey guide, you will be fine ;-)

Just remember, you can always install another distro, if you are prepared to spend a little while sorting out drivers, but believe it can be worth it

AK963, Apr 7, 2009
  3. guyman

argee

It would not be a good idea to install from tar.gz files. This requires some deeper knowlege of Linux,
    and you may have some missing pieces.

Software for the AAO is installed from "packages". A package contains all the needed parts,
    or at least will tell you what other parts (dependencies) you need. A package manager will
    do this all for you.

Limpus/Acer do NOT have a repository, so the packages you want are in Red Hat Fedora 8
    (not 9 or 10) repositories.

Simple games, like solitaire, you will find under "gnome games" or "kde games". For solitaire and
    other card games, the best are the kdegames. When you install this package, specifically kpat
    or patience, you get about 30 card games. The decks are clean and big, and the motion is
    quite nice. I have found other similar patience games to have cheesy graphics and/or motion.

I am an ubuntu guy, so I am not going to go into detail on package managers for Fedora, but
    you can look right here in this forum for "yum" or "repositories" and you will be good to go.

If your installation is fresh, and you bolix what you have, you can always reinstall from the
    provided restore CD.

I found that what works nicely also is to do a snapshot backup of your drive, and if you
    mess it up later, you can backup to this point rather than to the install CD. Look at page 2
    of Macles' site, at macles.blogspot.com for a program called aa1backup. You should have
    a 4GB to 8GB USB stick to do it. With something like this going for you, you do not have
    to be afraid to tinker, because you can always restore to the image in the USB dongle.
    This is specially important to a newbie.

argee, Apr 8, 2009
  4. guyman

solpuerto

Hi guyman

You said "Can it connect to wifi printer ?"

The first thing you need is a printer driver so select "Settings" then "Printer" then "New Printer" then "Forward". You should then see a screen with a list of Manufactures. Look for yours and select "Forward". This should give you a list of the default drivers available with the Linpus software. If your driver is there select and "Forward" should then install driver.
    If it is not there you will need to extend your search to outside the Linpus default. A good source of Linux printer drivers is Gutenprint and you can google it to see if your driver is there.

See the following link for some pointers about installing gutenprint.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=7530&start=20

solpuerto, Apr 8, 2009
  5. guyman

Xinês

A word of advise; try out the Ubuntu 9.04 (gnome version, not Xubuntu or Kubuntu)!
    Linpus was not one of the best choices for the regular user and, even in beta version, Ubuntu 9.04 works very well and is one of the easiest around, particularly for a Linux newcomer! General configuration should by intuitive for a windows user. Please refer to this forum Ubuntu's threads for further details.

Xinês, Apr 9, 2009
Ask a Question