Help a complete newbie

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by zebek, Sep 29, 2008.

1. zebek

zebek

So I am currently downloading an iAtk0s disc right now,and will be burning it later. Tomorrow night I am going to replace my WiFi card with a Dell 1390. When I have the unit apart should I replace the 512mb module installed in the unit with a 1gb giving me 1.5gb rather than 1gb or will OSX be fine with 1gb of RAM, also I am wondering if I dual boot XP and OSX if my XP partition is NTFS will I be able to see my XP partition from OSX and my OSX partition from XP. I would like a drive that is accessible from both. Also I don't use FAT32 because I typically deal with many large DVD size files and heard FAT32 will not go over 4gb.
    I see all of these people talking about OSX stuff but there doesn't seem to be a Newbie guide........I mean complete newbie, my daughters macbook is so foreign to me and the reason I want to install on my one is so that I can learn OSX and help her.

I see all of these .kexts referrals and have no idea what the heck that even means......lol

Please someone give me some info....

zebek, Sep 29, 2008
  2. zebek

fletch33

1. have you truly read the guides here because most of them are very very detailed?
    2. do you have an external USB DVD/CD drive?

fletch33, Sep 29, 2008
  3. zebek

SbM

Indeed, I don't see how I could make mine more detailed without explaining what "clicking the mouse button" means ;)

SbM, Sep 29, 2008
  4. zebek

rocklord

If you have the AAO apart, you might as well go as high with the RAM as you can. OSX will function fine with only 1GB of memory, as opposed to the memory hog Windows XP.

Windows XP will not recognize the OSX drive without software such as MacDrive 7 or TransMac 8.1.

OSX will recognize and read NTFS drives, but will not write to them. There are ways around this, but haven't worked them out yet. OSX will read and write to FAT32 with no problems. I have a Hackintosh that has a drive with three partitions: first partition formatted NTFS with Windows XP, second partition formatted HFS+ journaled with OSX, and the third partition formatted FAT32. This works well for me since I don't transfer large files (FAT32 is limited to 4GB file sizes).

The easiest way to do it for you is to purchase MacDrive or TransMac so that you can transfer files from NTFS to Mac OSX. Since OSX can copy files from NTFS to its own drive, you can pull files from XP and save them in OSX, then transfer them back later to NTFS with the above software in Windows XP.

Good Luck

rocklord, Sep 29, 2008
  5. zebek

4saken

4saken, Sep 29, 2008
  6. zebek

zebek

lol, yeah the mouse clicks would be great....I am totally kidding, I guess it will mean more when I start the install......
    Would it be helpful to have my other computer nearby? Its a Windows based machine......but I guess it would be an online guide through the installation....also, I do have an external USB DVD-R drive.

So when I partition my drives, what is a good amount should I have set aside for the OSX install?

I think I will have 3 partitions, probably 20gb for Winblows, ?? for OSX, and 1 NTFS drive for pic/vids/media etc.....

zebek, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question