Help a noob... :)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by petsoukos, Jan 18, 2009.

1. petsoukos

petsoukos

I've posted this in the Should I, Shouldn't I thread... but I think I need one thread for me...

I've installed Fedora 10 KDE...
    I have all sorts of problems...like problematic audio...

Audio Problem:
    I hear a noise/heeeeshhhh sound while booting...then the Start-up sound plays with pops and noise and not continuous.. it suddenly stops half-way, at the begging.... etc. random stops... The Volume indicator on the task manager is always at 0% clicking it shows up a little window with a "Mixer" button. Clicking ti, it opens the HDA Intel window. With three settings. Front, PCM and Mic Boost. All are at 100%. If I mess with the Mic Boost I hear the same noise/heeeeshhhh for couple of second.

Camera:
    Where is it? How can I access it? EDIT:Found it. It works just fine with Skype....

Mic:
    I need an app to test it out! Help I'm lost here EDIT:Sound Almost Works but not the Mic

Other things I don't know how to do.. is installing software and placing shortcuts on the Desktop. I would like Firefox 3 on the desktop that I have installed/extracted in /usr/lib/firefox3/firefox/ with the correct Icon. Is firefox a non-KDE application? Coz the font size on the menus and buttons aren't the same with the rest. I don't know if it has to do with KDE non-KDE.... EDIT: Installed Firefox and it was very easy... with Adobe Flash support.

Good News:
    Some stuff worked out of the box like Wifi, Wired Net, USBs... I don't know about the card readers coz I don't have any cards right now.. I guess it works.

Since I'm fairly new to all this... and I want to know a lot more about these operating systems... Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

petsoukos, Jan 18, 2009
  2. petsoukos

FireSoul

FireSoul, Jan 20, 2009
  3. petsoukos

petsoukos

I'm starting to hate Fedora 10... I have installed it on my desktop computer and I've got the same problems with audio.. I have the SB Audigy 2 ZS very old card... but works perfect in Vista.. What's the matter with Fedora and Sound???? Is there a fix for the Mic on the AAO... ??? I think I'll switch it to XP... I need basic functionality at least with the Audio... No sound no Skype... it is very important...

petsoukos, Jan 23, 2009
  4. petsoukos

Rudge

Hi, how are you getting on? Half the fun is getting it all to work you know...

With regard to the card reader, just make sure you have a card in it when you boot the computer and it will mount the reader automatically.

In Gnome you can right click on the desktop and then create a launcher. The command is usr/bin/firefox. It'll put the icon on your desktop for you. Don't know if this works in KDE though.

Try http://www.fedorafaq.org/ for a possible solution to your sound problems.

Rudge, Feb 5, 2009
Ask a Question