Help! AO532h Netbook Upgrade to 2GB Wintec

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by chrisnosleep, Apr 30, 2010.

1. chrisnosleep

chrisnosleep

I recently purchased a memory module to install in my Acer netbook. The netbook came with 1GB ram and Win 7 Starter Edition. The 2GB module: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820161335 from Wintec seems to only be recognized after a complete 'shut down'. After 'shutting down' the netbook and restarting, the system recognizes the full 2GB of ram. However, if 'restart' is chosen in Windows, when the system comes back up it only recognizes 1GB of the ram. These results are the same in the bios and in Windows. I have updated the bios and searched for similar issues with no results. Can you please help?

My netbook:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115713

Thanks in advance...
    Chris

chrisnosleep, Apr 30, 2010
  2. chrisnosleep

MeatWater

Possibly a faulty RAM module?

MeatWater, May 20, 2010
  3. chrisnosleep

goya

i'm having the exact same problem. opened ticket with acer support, but they closed it telling me it's not their problem. it appears that they have a bug in their bios. notice that they have been making a number of recent changes and one of them is adding support for additional memory cards. unfortunately they have one code logic for cold boot and another for warm boot. the cold boot works and the warm boot does not. so i avoid reboots and if it reboots i shut it down. other than that the unit runs great and the 2gb memory also runs greats, even when it sees it as 1gb. the funny thing is that cpuz always sees it as 2gb, so it's definitively a bios problem which they should be able to easily fix... too bad their bios does not allow things like memory settings...

here is a link to my posting of problem with details

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19661&start=30#p116939

goya, Jul 19, 2010
  4. chrisnosleep

lgmayka

I am another one who posted on this in the other thread. My RAM is the Patriot DDR2 2GB PC2-6400 800MHz CL6 (PSD22G8002S). For now, the workaround is simply Don't use Restart. Always shutdown and powerup, or hibernate and resume.

lgmayka, Jul 27, 2010
  5. chrisnosleep

goya

I have some good news, I was able to resolve the problem by returning the Crucial CT25664AC800 memory that I was using and exchange it for Crucial CT25664AC667 memory. Basically I had purchased 800 mhz memory and I exchanged it for their 667 mhz memory.

So if you are having problems with 800 mhz memory try 667 memory...

goya, Aug 1, 2010
Ask a Question