Help connecting a vodafone dongle to Acer aspire one netbook

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lorweld, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lorweld

lorweld

Hi first time poster so hope this is in the correct section :)

I'm trying to connect a vodafone dongle to my acer aspire one netbook with no success.

Any help in simple instructions would be gratefully accepted I'm not at all technical minded & this problem is driving me mad. :?

Thanks in advance :)

lorweld, Mar 17, 2009
  2. lorweld

Nik

This worked for me a few days ago:

0) Turn off your wi-fi

1) if you're running Compiz-Manager, unload it by pressing alt+f2 then typing 'Killall Compiz', then Alt+f2 again and 'xfwm4'

2) Start Mobile Partner (in the 'connect' tab)

3) Insert your modem. Wait for it to be detected.

4) If you're not prompted to create a profile, click on the 'Options' menu. Use CHAP authentication, 'web' as username and password and *99# as the access number.

HTH, post back with details of why not if it doesn't.

Nik

Nik, Mar 18, 2009
  3. lorweld

Bill7300

Can you help me find Mobile Partner, please? I thought it used to appear as an option after automatic updates but it doesn't appear to be available there any longer. I recently had to do a reinstall of Linpus and all applications, and lost my previous installation of Mobile Partner in that process. Really need it to get my usb 3G dongle underway.

Thanks

Bill7300, Mar 19, 2009
  4. lorweld

Nik

It should be in the Connect section of the desktop.

If it's not, press ALT+F2 and enter '/usr/local/MobilePartner/MobilePartner'

Nik

Nik, Mar 20, 2009
  5. lorweld

Bill7300

Sorry, Nik. I should have been more explicit. Mobile Partner isn't installed on my machine and I need to know where to download it from.

I had it installed before my recent re-install of Linpus. At that time, it was offered as an optional download by Live Update, after the Linpus upgrades had been made. Now however, Live Update reports that my machine has all current updates and doesn't offer me the option of downloading and installing Mobile Partner. I also cant find in on the Acer site, hence my plea for help.

regards

Bill

Bill7300, Mar 25, 2009
  6. lorweld

Bill7300

Hi again Nik. Your reply set me wondering, so I reinstalled again and did a fresh live update. Mobile Partner has now installed and is available in the Connect section of the desktop. I have no idea why it didn't install last time but for now at least, that problem is solved. Now to work out why the usb 3G modem no longer works!

Thanks

Bill

Bill7300, Mar 25, 2009
  7. lorweld

adam.chucka

adam.chucka, Mar 29, 2009
Ask a Question