HELP - DW1390 WIFI stopped working under OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by brushless, Aug 10, 2009.

1. brushless

brushless

Its been working under iDeneb 1.4 since I got it two months ago. Now in the System Profiler it says:
    Wireless Card Type: Third Party Wireless Card
    Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off
    The fan-shaped logo is not showing any curved lines within its outline; when I click "Turn AirPort On" I get a perpetual spinning colour wheel ... :(
    The DW1390 is still connecting flawlessly under WinXP.
    Please suggest how do I fix it for OSX. I want my WIFI connection back. Thanks.

brushless, Aug 10, 2009
  2. brushless

MathiasVH

The same thing happened to me today! Right now, I post from my Iphone, but just an hour ago, I was downloading big files from my AAO?! Frustrating, it is... May the Force (or the experts in here ;) ) solve this problem of mysteries... Soon!

MathiasVH, Aug 10, 2009
  3. brushless

amigadude

Installing Airport Update 2009001 sorted it for me... I had a broadcom 43xx based card (borrowed from a friend's HP laptop, he uses wired only) then I switched back to the 5007 to try the latest attempts to get OSX to play nice with it.... when I bought a new dw1390 from ebay it wouldn't load the drivers.

amigadude, Aug 10, 2009
  4. brushless

MathiasVH

Thanks man :D Worked perfectly :)

MathiasVH, Aug 10, 2009
  5. brushless

brushless

:evil: Installed AirPort Update 2009001 but it didn't work for me.
    When booting up, I can briefly see a grayed out fan logo with curved lines within, which changed into an empty fan outline logo when booting is complete.
    BTW, can some expert tell me what is the name of the boot log for OSX and where is it located? I hope it may provide more clues to fix the problem. Thanks very much.

brushless, Aug 10, 2009
  6. brushless

MathiasVH

Well, mine don't work now either. Worked for a short while, and I also get the filled fan for a few seconds, but after that, AirPort is turned "Off" and can't be turned on again... Damn :s

MathiasVH, Aug 10, 2009
  7. brushless

brushless

I have located the boot log from /var/log/system.log and upload here for the experts to examine and diagnose why my DW1390 won't start and suggest a solution. The file contained the log of 2 consecutive boots.

brushless, Aug 11, 2009
  8. brushless

brushless

I have located the boot log from /var/log/system.log and upload here for the experts to examine and diagnose why my DW1390 won't start and suggest a solution. The file contained the log of 2 consecutive boots. There are 10 lines where en1 (the WIFI card) has been mentioned.

brushless, Aug 11, 2009
  9. brushless

brushless

brushless, Aug 11, 2009
  10. brushless

mvil

The log doesn't tell much.
    I can only see that the card is recognized as "Broadcom BCM4311 802.11 Wireless Controller", but I believe the interface doesn't go up.
    Do you see any wireless or AirPort interface when you check "System Preferences"/"Network"? If yes, what happens when you try to turn it ON, clicking on the button (to the right hand side, same line as "Status")?
    If I had the same card I would try to re-install the original drivers:
    In iATKOS V7, you need to boot from the installation media, uncheck all items and then select only Drivers/Network/Wireless/Broadcom BCM43xx.
    Proceed like in a normal installation. In the end you get an error message saying that it failed. Don't worry, it is always like that when you only re-install drivers.

mvil, Aug 12, 2009
  11. brushless

brushless

Thank you very much for your reply.
    In "System Preferences/Network" it says my AirPort 2 is off on the left panel; after clicking on "Turn AirPort On", the coloured spinning wheel appears and stays on forever. The only way to remove this is to force quit "System Preference". Note if I click on the "outline fan symbol" and invoke "Turn AirPort On" there, another coloured spinning wheel will appear if I move the cursor to the right of the fan symbol. This wheel cannot be force quit as it does not relate to any "not responding" application. In that case, I will not be able to get a clean shutdown and must resort to holding down the power-on button until the power goes off.
    I'll try the re-install route as you suggested when I get home. Cheers.

brushless, Aug 13, 2009
  12. brushless

mvil

mvil, Aug 13, 2009
  13. brushless

Reidster2008

Hey Folks

I had this same issue when I upgraded to 10.5.8. I ran the latest Broadcom Enabler script rebooted and that sorted it out.

I have attached the script.

1. Unzip to your downloads folder

2. Open Terminal and type sudo -s and type your password.

3. Then type cd ~/Downloads

4. Type ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh let it run and then reboot.

Hope this helps some of you

Reidster2008, Aug 15, 2009
  14. brushless

MathiasVH

I solved this problem by switching over the black and white cable attached to the card - Simple as that :)

MathiasVH, Aug 16, 2009
  15. brushless

hughjmilsom

10.5.8 has also stopped my Airport with a DW1390.

I have run the Airport Updater and installed all the kexts suggested in this and other (MSIWind) forums - all to no avail.

The black/white cable switch is final resort otherwise it's back to 10.5.7! Unless anyone else has any thoughts?

Kind Regards

hughjmilsom, Aug 17, 2009
  16. brushless

brushless

Thank you so much for offering this help. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Thanks again. Cheers.

brushless, Aug 17, 2009
  17. brushless

brushless

On the DW1390, there are two printed triangles, one white and one black, to designated where the white and black WIFI antenna wires should be attached. In any case I did the switchover but it just didn't work. Thanks anyway. Cheers.

brushless, Aug 17, 2009
  18. brushless

winterbrew

I don't think the way the wires connect makes too much difference. I connected the wires in the same positions they were connected to the original Atheros card, which is opposite to the colour code marked on the DW 1390.

I've had the DW 1390 in both my AOA150's this way, and the wireless works fine

winterbrew, Aug 18, 2009
  19. brushless

brushless

Guys, if there is no viable solution, I may have to resort to a re-install, which I hoped I don't have to.

brushless, Aug 21, 2009
Ask a Question