Help - I deleted /usr/share - Solved - Recovery on the Mac

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fusselkater, Aug 31, 2008.

1. fusselkater

fusselkater

Don't drink and root - it's so true. ;-)

By doing that I managed to delete the whole /usr/share folder.
    The system is still running. Terminal is open, but the rest of the apps (desktop, taskbar) are gone.

Which way would you go to get the folder back?
    I would prefer to just extract the folder from the recovery image and copy it back to the Acer Aspire One.
    But I am quite clueless at the moment.

If someone could upload a gzipped /usr/share/ folder...

Or if someone could tell me how to decompress the aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz file into a folder (or usb drive) on the mac.
    I know how to decompress the gz part. But I end up with a single image file aa1_usb_recovery_image.
    If i follow the instructions in the other thread (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1611) I end up with this:
    g5:Desktop harryl$ zcat aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz > /dev/disk3s1
    zcat: aa1_recovery.gz.Z: No such file or directory

disk3s1 is my SD card in the USB reader.
    But it looks like zcat got a problem with the filename. Again I am clueless.....

fusselkater, Aug 31, 2008
  2. fusselkater

Tavel

Re: Help - I deleted /usr/share

i just kept the recovery USB disk on hand for things like this...I probably reformatted the hard drive 5 times in a week, haha.

Tavel, Sep 1, 2008
  3. fusselkater

fusselkater

Re: Help - I deleted /usr/share

Ok, had to to do the whole recovery process.

The instructions in the link in my previous post don't work on the mac this way.
    The gcat command works somehow different in OS X.

My solution. A Fedora 9 Live CD booted on the Intel Mac. A card reader with 2 cards.
    On one card the compressed image file I downloaded. The other one just with a random text file so i could later identify the card in the Linux file system.
    And then following the instructions and do the whole thing in Fedora 9 instead of OS X.
    The only way I found to create a recovery stick (card with reader) for the AA1.

A little hint if you end up like me in Fedora 9. The 2 cards will be mounted in the folder /media/ as something like /media/disk2 or like that. Just cd into these folders and use ls to find out which folder represents which card.

fusselkater, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question